General Engine swap

Currently reading:
General Engine swap

burns_2k

I recently overheated the engine in my Uno 45. Since then it has grown a variety of squeakes and rattles. Rather than pump any money into fixing what is obviously an engine with quite serious problems I thought it may be an idea to switch to a bigger engine. I understand the largest Fire engine is the one in the Uno 60. Could this be swapped directly with the engine from my 999cc car? I imagine this is a bit to simple. Will the ECU or any other components need replacing. Can any one give me any clue as to what I could be getting my self into, and also any other ideas on replacement engines? Thanks for any help.

Hei.

I'm now on deep water, and doesn't exactly know what I'm talking about. But. I've got a Uno 1.1i.e.S (formerly 60). At least you don't have to do anything with the brakes, they are the same. But pay attention to the gearchange levers and rods. They might differ. I was changing the steering rack, and had problems due to the gearchange rods (it was linked together), which was introduced in 1992 or somewhere then. Else I don't think it should be a problem. Never done anything like that, so don't use this as a "go-for-it".

Morten.

I'm not sure whether the gearbox will need replacing or not, as I get the impression all FIRE engines were almost the same, but with a different bore/ stroke. In this case can't I just replace one with the other?

Just re-read your post, are you saying I'm likely to have trouble with different years? Thats a good point, thanks.

Hei.

I also think the engines are mainly the same, so I think you can use your old gearbox, and gearchange rods. The gearbox may have som different gearing ratios.

My 1994 Fiat Uno 1.1i.e.S has a 5 speed transmission of type C514. It is easy to find out if you've got this. [1] The reverse is pushed down and far right and then "down" again besides the 4th gear. This transmission (actually it came in 1992) has both rods and wires. [2] There are no gearing rods underneath the car, they come through the "torpedo wall" (it's called that in Norway, the wall separating the driver from the engine,) and mounted on top of the steering gear - which caused the trouble for me...

I also think - yes think, not "know", the ECU is specific to the engine. My FIRE engine is 1108cc (not 1116cc). This is located on the passengers side - ooops, I just remembered you drive on the wrong side of the road. :D At least, mine is located on the right hand side of the car, where passengers sit! I have no idea if it's easy replaceable.

Morten.

AFAIK the UNO 60s were'nt "FIRE" - they were 1116cc.

The 60 FIRE talked about is 1242cc from the Punto - there are 2 versions: 8 valve and 16 valve.
The 8 valve is SPI with ECU. (No distrubutor and timing pick-up by the flywheel.)
The 16 valve is MPI with different ECU.

Most likely the 8 valve would fit - as long as you have an ECU on your UNO.

The cheapest source of a (slightly) bigger engine might be the 1108 FIRE surplus from Cinq or Sei upgraders..

Have a look at Petes site:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

He also has the 1108 engine left over AFAIK...

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by John H
AFAIK the UNO 60s were'nt "FIRE" - they were 1116cc.

The 60 FIRE talked about is 1242cc from the Punto - there are 2 versions: 8 valve and 16 valve.
The 8 valve is SPI with ECU. (No distrubutor and timing pick-up by the flywheel.)
The 16 valve is MPI with different ECU.

Most likely the 8 valve would fit - as long as you have an ECU on your UNO.

The cheapest source of a (slightly) bigger engine might be the 1108 FIRE surplus from Cinq or Sei upgraders..

Have a look at Petes site:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

He also has the 1108 engine left over AFAIK...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nah, flogged that ages ago, sorry!
Decided I could never go back:D

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group
Clubcento

Morten,

Torpedo wall = bulkhead (I think)

STEVE - the NOS guzzling Panda owner and beagle fanatic ...

"Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" - ah, they don't write numbers like that any more :(

beaglerunc.gif

Back