Technical Engine swap!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap!

baddroidboy

I have a Uno FIRE mk1 from 1988. Or my friend has one but I will get it for free. He also has a Fiat Regata from around the same time or if it's an 1986. It's fitted with a 1600cc twin cam i think. Is there a swap possible? anyone knows? I live in Finland and therefore it's the regata and not the regatta and we have mk1 fires. I've read somewhere that you guys don't:)

Thanks in advance!

Everything is possible, but it's not a straight swap. I haven't done this my self, but I guesss: No Uno came with the tc, so you need to make some engine mounts. You need to use the tc-gearbox, with drive shafts. That most likely means they are too long and that you need to modify/make some new ones.

Go for the 1498 soch from a Regata instead. ;) 15 hp less, but a straight swap if you get engine mounts/gearbox from an Uno with a Lampredi soch.

-Vegard

There is a conversion kit available to fit the the Lancia twin cam from the Delta HF into a Uno. However, it's expensive and you will still need a lot of extra parts and work.

As Unclechuchu says, the Uno was never fitted with the twin cam as standard therefore there are no easily available parts from other Fiats that you can use. You either buy a conversion kit or you fabricate your own mountings. Don't forget as well the Uno gearbox will NOT bolt up to the twin cam without an adaptor at least, so you'll be looking at fitting the twin cam gearbox and driveshafts as well. Which will mean even more work and modification...!

The easiest swap for your car is a bigger FIRE engine. Anything from the 1108 to the 1.4 SuperFIRE will swap with your existing engine and also will hook up to your existing gearbox and driveshafts. To convert from a FIRE to the Lampredi ohc (1116cc/ 1299cc/ 1301cc/ 1372cc/ 1.5/ 1.6) will require engine mounts and gearbox from a Uno already fitted with one of these engine, along with some wiring changes as the ancilleries are in different places. You can however get all these from a Lampredi equipped Uno if you can find one being broken for spares.

Lastly, whether it's a Uno mk1 or Uno mk2 the principles are similar as they share the same floor pan and chassis. There are some minor running gear changes to the later model such as the addition of fuel injection for lower spec models and different gearboxes used, but the parts are nearly all interchangeable between the models.

There have also been a number of threads covering engine swaps already, I'll have a look and see if I can find them for you.

By the way, welcome to the Forum!

Thanks everyone! Am not that interested in tuning up the Uno otherwise but since my friend would give away a regata twin cam for free too the question came to mind! Great forum anyway! I've been looking for a good Fiat forum for a while now, everyone hera at home keeps bashing them for making crappy cars but if there is one automaker that makes great engines it's Fiat:D I also own a 128 SL coupe and an Alfa 33 QV. And maybe soon a Ritmo abarth 130TC:eek:

Damn, just got the car home and it doesn't give a spark. it has been standing sitll for about 2 years. anyone know some general faults I can check? I have access to a couple at my local junkyard.

Back