Technical engine swap question

Currently reading:
Technical engine swap question

il say sorry first becuase I no there has been alot of engine swap questions in the past, i have used the search tool and FAQ but still have a few questions I would be greatful if you would help me;
i have a 2002 MPI sei sporting,
1. the 1.2 punto SPI engine-is this a straight swap and get a spacer for the exhaust??
2. will i be able to use my sei ECU or one off the 1.2 engine? if not which one
3. if there is a better suited engine for my MPI sei which one is it, im confused with the 60 and 75 punto engines,
4. rough cost of swap including engine?
5. are the punto GT brakes (ect) a straight swap i have 14 inch alloys atm.
I would also update the brakes and suspension which ill be doing in next few months,

thanks again
Ryan

not looked hard enough

you dont want the 60 SPI engine, you want the 75 MPI engine for a start so scrap number 1, ive answered number 3 also

number 4 depends how good with mechanics you are and if you know a few people, dont be suprised to see it run into 4 figures at the end of it however

Nuber 5 its ideal with 14'' think its just about stright swap but let someone else answer as well as answer number 2

Last edited:
thanks, did see punto 75 engine mentioned but got a bit confused with it, thank you for clearing it up, sorry for asking is it a straight swap with no modification??
I am ok when it comes to cars, my dad is very good thou not a mechanic and a few of my friends are good, obviously would need to service engine and change clutch while its out,
ryan

engine FAQ said:
if you really want to go ahead the MPI engine engine conversions its easiest in the sei MPI as a base

The MPI Sei and Punto 75 intake manifold stud patterns are the same, so fit the engine whole. Use the MPI Sei intake manifold.
The exhaust will just clear the driver's side driveshaft rubber boot without modification, but if you can get it altered a little more clearance will help. There's no joint on the front pipe like the SPI car, so you can't just fit a spacer - there isn't anywhere to put one!

The 1108 MPI Sei has a knock sensor - the Punto block doesn't have a hole to bolt it to in exactly the same place, but about an inch or two further down there is an unused threaded hole (probably from the Punto's alternator mounting bracket) which will do.

Cam drive. The 1108 MPI has a different pitch belt to the Punto 75, and also a knobbly bit on the inboard edge. This knobbly bit points at the cam position sensor, which is what the extra bit with the wire on next to the oil filler cap is. So you need to use the Sei crank pulley, water pump and cam pulley - and a belt from a newer mk2 MPI Punto 1242 8v. Oh, and the Sei cam cover complete with sensor.

You will also need to use the Sei's water rail on the front of the engine, the Punto one exits at a different angle.

Mounts, gearbox, starter and alternator from the Sei can be retained. The flywheel, clutch friction and pressure plates from the 75 and Sei are the same, but the Sei release bearing is different.

GT brakes

thankyou, , feel bit stupid now, I did read that dunno why I got confused with it, but thankyou for your reply! (y)
Ryan

quickly where is the best place to get a punto 75 engine from, quick look on ebay found nothing and quick search online,

You can keep you head, and just bolt a p75 bottom end in and a spacer for the exhaust. And whilst the p75 head is sat there doing nothing, you can port it and fit it at a later date(y)

sorry to sound stupid but what does port it mean?? and is it easy to bolt the P75 on the bottom?? never really done any major engine mods like this before.
Ryan

p60 bottom end and keep your head swap all the bits over and its done. simples! as easy as a 3d jigsaw all straight forward nothing to mix up all the bits only go in one place.

Using the P60 block but retaining the Sei head and pulleys is the cheapest way of doing it. the sei has a cam phase sensor that the p75 doesn't.

I know that there are differences in the construction of the later versions of the 1242 bottom end after the P75 but are there any differences in things like port shape between p60 or p75?

Is it just the parts that bolt on that differ?

I know that there are differences in the construction of the later versions of the 1242 bottom end after the P75 but are there any differences in things like port shape between p60 or p75?

Is it just the parts that bolt on that differ?

Ermm the differences is in the head and arc said to use the sei head, so won't be any problem.

OBv you can use the P75 head with the sei cam cover, pulley etc. The P75 heads have better exhaust port shape.

Ming

lol, aye - i did add the bit about the pulleys (and waterpump actually) as the belt pitch is different. And you'll need a timing belt from a mk2 punto 8v

yeah what ming said, its opening up and shaping the ports on the head so it flows better. dont chop the end of the guides off like GSR do,seems a stupid idea

Why do you think it is stupid to grind the valve guides flat ? At the exhaust side it is indeed not very smart because the exhaust valves get very hot and they will have difficulties with transferring the heat away.

On the intake side this is not (less) the case.

It is quite a common practice with engine tuners to reshape/ flatten the valve guides as far as I know.

i assume they are that length for a reason and altering a major part with out other strengthening may cause serious damage/ premature stem wear.

but im sure someone will put us right as to if this is safe or not to do so. in theory the less in the way the better

Back