Technical Engine swap question

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap question

I've read the FAQs and searched the forum (and i'm still pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere, i just can't find it).

If you have a seicento 1.1 MPI, what can you swap it with? The FAQ only deals with the SPI ones. What is the easiest swap, and what are the HP and torque gains (approximately)? How much time would it take to do the swap, and how easy it is (bolt on replacement, need new parts, custom made stuff and so on)?

I know it's a bit of a vague question, but please bear with me :)

Thanks in advance for all the help! (y):worship:

and that MPI 1.2 can come out of a punto, right?
I will need an SPI, not an MPI mani and cat? From what engine?

Also, can the sei's ECU run the 1.2 engine?
What is the power increase?

The 1108 ECU should run it OK. For better results, tune and then re map.

Easiest to go for a mani, downpipe and cat off a Cinq Sporting. You'll need to put a spacer between the mani and the downpipe and get another lambda boss welded on after the cat (or you'll confuse the hell out of the ECU). Maybe have to extend the wiring to the rear lambda.

An alternative is the Punto 75 engine, if you can find one in decent nick. Grab the mani and downpipe, put your MPI head on with the Punto 75 cam.

Don't expect the power gain to be huge -- somewhere between 6 and 15bhp, but the extra torque will make the car so much more flexible and more fun to drive.

so if i go for a punto 75, i'll just need my MPI head, the punto 75 cam (already in the engine) and the mani and downpipe from the punto 75?

if you're looking at minimal things you'll need, you just need pretty much just the 1242 8v bottom end. the sei MPI head will fit the block and work fine with it. so you can keep the entire top end of the engine the same and just change the block.

not sure on exhaust setups

so if i go for a punto 75, i'll just need my MPI head, the punto 75 cam (already in the engine) and the mani and downpipe from the punto 75?

Snag the cat as well. Be prepared for some cut n' shuttery with the exhaust (you will need that extra lambda boss as well, but they're less than a tenner), any extra bits, keep 'em for spares or sell them off.

how about the brava 1.2 16v engine? Is it a possible/easy swap? I'd imagine the only different thing from the 1.2 8v transplant is that i'll have to change the upper part of the engine and possibly the ecu as well as the block? Won't that give me more bhp?

edit:
I heard one guy did a 1.2 16v punto sporting mk1 transplant into his sei. Is that harder/easier than the 1.2 8v transplant?

I'm trying to collect as much info as possible, and i saw another member made a huge post with pics and all, but i think his engine came from a brava (1.2 16v) and it sounded very expensive.

Last edited:
i did the punto 75 mpi conversion in my mpi sei. took me and 2 of my mates a weekend to get the old 1.1 out rebuild the 1.2 im pleased with the results was a direct bolt for bolt really.

i am currently still using the sei mpi exhaust manifold bent to clear, but if you want to keep the cat where it is i believe the punto mk2 1.2 are 10mm taller so will fit no problem and have 2 lamda holes.

i fitted the punto sporting throttle body 42mm last night seems to give better pull but im running a rubbish diy style induction kit so prop losing out on bhp.

and also i used the punto 75 head as i have been told the porting is diffrent, the punto gasket seems to seal the sei inlet manifold allright.

Would that have been my thread (see sig)?

Cheers,

Kristian
Yeah, that would be you. :D Great post by the way, thanks for all the pictures, it helped me understand some things. (y)

I'd like to know how much money i should prepare for just an engine swap?

Here is what i think i understood so far:
I could go for either (i'm only thinking about 1.2 swaps here):

1. a swap where i'd just take the block of a punto 75 1.2 v8 mk1 engine, and swap the sei MPI cam for a punto 75 cam, using the sei's MPI upper part of the engine. I might have some problems with the exhaust manifold, but that can be solved by bending a bit and welding in a new lambda boss. Overall, it's pretty much of a bolt on replacement. Possibly use the punto mk2 exhaust manifold and cat (sei's or punto's?).

2. a swap where i'd take the whole engine from a punto 75 1.2 v8 mk1. But i really don't understand why nobody suggested that? Is it SPI maybe or would it be too much work to do?

3. taking an engine from a punto 1.2 v16 mk2 (is that a sporting?). Reading the (very helpful) kritip's post, it seems like a lot of work, and not just a weekend thing, as number 1 seems to be. Also, sounds expensive. But then again kritip did have some problems with a rusty engine, changed/uprated the clutch, had to buy a lot of tools, bought a new aftermarket exhaust mani and so on, so it all adds to the price.

4. a thing i've heard from a guy not on this forum: he bodged in a punto sporting mk1 1.2 16v engine. No idea how hard that would be or what exactly he did, but i'll talk to him about it when i can.

i have done 6000 mile in 2 month with the full 75 engine and car and ecu seem to handle it ok, i just used the sei mpi inlet and exhust manifold a bigger throttle body, and the cam cover and pullys off the sei as it has a cam sensor.

Back