Tuning Engine swap in 1986 panda 4x4

Currently reading:
Tuning Engine swap in 1986 panda 4x4

Anyone changed a 999cc fire for a 1,500 lancia delta or x19 engine ?

As far as I know the only proven up grade is 1242 16v

But our current project is 1.4 16v 95 hp
4x4 it the block length and height which givens the project if it’s for race. Simon has made an uno turbo 4x4.Succsesfully and has Raced
it too what’s the plan.! For yours

As far as I know the only proven up grade is 1242 16v

But our current project is 1.4 16v 95 hp
4x4 it the block length and height which givens the project if it’s for race. Simon has made an uno turbo 4x4.Succsesfully and has Raced
it too what’s the plan.! For yours

Planning for a bit more grunt, original engine needs rebuilding and I know of an 8v 1500 lancia so just wondered if the bell housing would match my 4x4 gear box ?

Or indeed 8v - still a decent upgrade and easier to fit in. Depends if you're looking for a bit of extra grunt or if you're intent on building a hillclimb weapon or something.

Is the 8v you speak of from a lancia 1500 if so that’s what I’ve got ?

Or indeed 8v - still a decent upgrade and easier to fit in. Depends if you're looking for a bit of extra grunt or if you're intent on building a hillclimb weapon or something.

Yes I was meaning power up grade. We too have a 1242 8v 4x4 ex punto circa 65 hp with cat removed and 2” exhaust
Gives plenty of grunt will climb with no effort or Reving in 1st pretty serious stuff

Is the 8v you speak of from a lancia 1500 if so that’s what I’ve got ?
No the 8v version of the 1242 mentioned above. Advantage of the 1108/1242 engines from the earlier Puntos, 'centos, Bravo/as, new Pandas etc is they are the same FIRE family of engines so yes bellhousings marry up, engine mounts marry up or can be made to very easily and many parts are, or can be adapted to be, interchangeable with original to get everything working. The Lancia 1500 will be a completely unrelated engine so while anything can be made to fit in theory it'll be a lot more involved and require a lot more fabrication and ingenuity to do.

Last edited:
Exactly get a whole scrap car for £100-£200 take out a working engine. And then the loom code key All fits bang on taller engines may need to be lowered or body lifted or mods to heater box. See our thread for more info adamvarley & Sjvarley

Brian the BFP (Big Friendly Panda)- 1988 Sisley 4X4

If you would like to see progress up until now, including the 90mm lift we have achieved the original thread was here:

3 Sisleys and a 'HOLE' lot of TLC

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=444097

Oh and he's named Brian because of the hundreds of snails which called him home until very recently.
https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?p=4248905

Last edited:
1.4 t-jet?
since that's based on the same block as the 1.2 16v, 14 16v (probably the 8v as well)

A bit more complicated... but it would be work the hassle.

1.4 t-jet?
since that's based on the same block as the 1.2 16v, 14 16v (probably the 8v as well)
Should work as it's all the fire engine type format, would definitely be an interesting engine to try!

---

The others have hit this pretty much on the head - in short, the fire series engines (1108, 1242 and 1368) should all work relatively easily, marrying up to the mounting point of the Panda without amendment from what I've heard. Anything else may well fit but will require a lot more modification.

Personally, I'll probably opt for a 1.2 or 1.4 fire in the future for one of mine as it's not going to mean I have to do loads of crazy amendments but it will work well still, a few in the group are running 1.2s and they seems great :)

Should work as it's all the fire engine type format, would definitely be an interesting engine to try!

---

The others have hit this pretty much on the head - in short, the fire series engines (1108, 1242 and 1368) should all work relatively easily, marrying up to the mounting point of the Panda without amendment from what I've heard. Anything else may well fit but will require a lot more modification.

Personally, I'll probably opt for a 1.2 or 1.4 fire in the future for one of mine as it's not going to mean I have to do loads of crazy amendments but it will work well still, a few in the group are running 1.2s and they seems great :)

Doing some research I’ve found the engine from the lancia is a fiat SOHC engine that was used in the mk1 uno’s and early puntos. This is the same period of the fire engines used in the panda, unos and puntos

matthewnum14
What exactly are you looking for?

Do you need an engine replacement?
Thinking about doing one instead of maintaining the current one?
Do you just want more power?

Either way.. you can't go wrong with a t-jet 120hp... the slow one :))

Doing some research I’ve found the engine from the lancia is a fiat SOHC engine that was used in the mk1 uno’s and early puntos. This is the same period of the fire engines used in the panda, unos and puntos
The Lancia 1.5 may have been used in the same time period as the fire engines, but I don't think that it itself is a fire derivative and therefore won't be as easy as the others (though I have no experience with the Lancia 1.5) - the list of fire engines can be found here, the biggest one listed is the 1368: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_Integrated_Robotised_Engine

I'm sure you could manage it somehow if that's what you'd like, but if you're going for ease then the fire 1.2/1.4 is what we'd recommend... though the only way we will find new things is by trying and learning! :)

The 1.5 is a totally different engine family dating back to older models like the 128. Never fitted to any Panda so no compatibility with a Panda gearbox or mountings without major modifications. In my opinion doing that sort of swap would be fairly pointless when there are much better modern engines available.

A T-jet engine would be an interesting swap, suspension and drive train mods required though I think. A 4x4 can just about cope with a 1242 16v, never mind a T-jet with potentially triple the original power!

How much torque and hp can a 4x4 gearbox can handle?

Since the original 1.0 engine was putting out 78NM... then the gearbox will be ok at about 150% of that....so 117NM

The 2003 Panda 1.3 diesel box can take 145NM, so that would cope with a t-jet.. but i've got no idea how the gearing will affect offroading.

The boost can be controlled by the ECU.. and already has boost-by-gear, so lower boost in 1-2-3 and only in 4 and 5 should see full boost.

How much torquee and hp can a 4x4 gearbox can handle?

Ok our 4x4 panda Brian has 30% larger wheels. 195 80 14” so that’s 1/3 more resitance to rolling we have fitted the 1242 8v multi point injection+40% in power too no issues at all no broken shafts gears diffs etc. Next project is a 100hp 4x4 with the same drive chain
I don’t see any problems as the 1st motion shaft is the same size as in a pinto sporting which the engine came out of. If the gear box has all new bearings and as the diffs and propshaft
Ripping it all apart would be very difficult
See this high powered 4x4 panda
[ame]https://youtu.be/px4Jn9XGlVg[/ame]
See what you Can do ha !

Last edited:
Do you want a carb for simplicity the mod to spi or even mpi is pretty strait forward. ONLY if you have all the parts from the donor car.
Don’t buy separate parts from various places or suppliers.

Back