Technical Engine removal

Currently reading:
Technical Engine removal

Lynne and Mark

Hi we are needing to take the engine out of our fiat ducato 2.8 motorhome to have it rebuilt due to melting the pistons. My husband is a mechanic but never had to do this on this model before. Does anyone know if the gearbox has to be removed before the engine can be taken out?

You can pivot it out in one piece not much easier though by the time youve taken off the driveshafts and dismantled the front of the van. How did ye manage to nelt the pistons diy tuning job?

I have just completed a full engine replacement in my 3 litre Ducato and it is just as easy to remove the motor and box all in one.
As Corcai said, once you disconnect the driveshafts, it's not so bad.
I have never worked on anything like this before and I wouldn't be in any hurry to repeat the experience.
Keep the updates coming and if there are any queries, you'll find plenty of info here.
By the way, the centre drive shaft bearing is retained by 2 bolts and if you aren't aware of them, life will be hell.

I have just completed a full engine replacement in my 3 litre Ducato and it is just as easy to remove the motor and box all in one.
As Corcai said, once you disconnect the driveshafts, it's not so bad.
I have never worked on anything like this before and I wouldn't be in any hurry to repeat the experience.
Keep the updates coming and if there are any queries, you'll find plenty of info here.
By the way, the centre drive shaft bearing is retained by 2 bolts and if you aren't aware of them, life will be hell.

Still only half a carton in time to get it out though errol i even bogged the forklift doing it lol

We managed to get it out last night but took it out as 1 unit then took the gearbox off. We are based in Barrow in Furness. We have no idea how the pistons have melted. We lost power on the a1 last Saturday so pulled over straightaway and heard a loud pop which we discovered was the lower radiator pipe. We got it recovered to my Auntys house where my husband started it and moved it a little, it started ok but sounded like a tractor so he thought it was the head. We got it into a garage that took the head off and that's when they saw 2 of the pistols had melted, it's a mystery to everyone as its never overheated and with my husband being a mechanic he serviced it the weekend before we set off.

Still only half a carton in time to get it out though errol i even bogged the forklift doing it lol
You bogged a forklift? That takes a special effort mate, although I nearly bogged my engine crane so I'll let you off with that one I guess.
I almost fell asleep under mine wondering why I even bothered in the first place. If I had been able to get a hold of any alcohol, I would have drunk myself into oblivion, but eventually my son and I figured it out.
This thing of mine has been a 4 year nightmare and I'm hoping the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a bloody train coming.:cry:

So here we are in 2022.. I'm just rebuilding a fait 1990 I.9. I took it out three months ago and due to lots of thing am just putting it back now had to have the head repaired after a timing belt snapped but one thing I'd advise with any job.. take pictures. So if you forget.. walla!!!!! Iv had real trouble getting an exhaust manifold.. so fashioned one from a turbo. Since mine is not. Had to do a bit off wielding too. its not so bad . And very satisfying on a nice day..

Attachments

• 20210823_174958.jpg
    20210823_174958.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
Back