Technical Engine overheating?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine overheating?

katterin

hi guys, wonder if u can help me

I had to sit in a traffic jam the other day for 3 hours, and my engine got quite hot. it did momentarily go into the red, but i managed to get it back dowe by turning the car heater on hot then cold etc.

since then, it seems to be running a little hotter than normal, and the therostat seems to go up in jumps, then come back down again, then jump up into the upper quarter.

i only do about 30 minute journeys at the moment, and the car seems to finish the journey in vary stages on the thermostat. im not sure my fan is kicking in either lately as i cant hear it.

also my heater only seems to blow out cold air mostly when the heater is on hot.

any ideas would be greatly appredciated! im not sure if im going mad or their may actually be a problem. i had the head gasket replaced about a year ago, and there doesnt seem to be anty leaks under the car.

Thanks!

also my heater only seems to blow out cold air mostly when the heater is on hot

Air in the coolant system can cause that might need bleeding or could also be a faulty thermostat get it fixed asap or could result in a blown headgasket..

well i phoned mr clutch to see if they would look at it, as had to get a clutch check done and they quoted £600 if the head gasket had gone! i got my previous one for £350, and a couple or car minded friends had a look and didnt think it was that.

Topped up the water and coolent before i came home, and the heaters stayed warm right the way home instead of for two minutes, and the temperature didnt go over the half way mark the whole journey.

does this seem like it may have fixed the problem? (as you may guess, i have no idea of the goings on under a bonnet :bang: )

if coolant disappeared then you have a leak.
where is the leak i can't guess from here, but keep on checking the coolant level.

(as i learned not so long ago, a blown head gasket will result in air bubbles in the radiator expansion tank, when starting the engine cold).

well i phoned mr clutch to see if they would look at it, as had to get a clutch check done and they quoted £600 if the head gasket had gone! i got my previous one for £350, and a couple or car minded friends had a look and didnt think it was that.

Topped up the water and coolent before i came home, and the heaters stayed warm right the way home instead of for two minutes, and the temperature didnt go over the half way mark the whole journey.

does this seem like it may have fixed the problem? (as you may guess, i have no idea of the goings on under a bonnet :bang: )

600 :eek: stay away from there get a quote off another garage, right price should be around 300 - 450, i would change the thermostat or take it out and test it to see if its at fault and causing your problems..

Back