General engine oil light

Currently reading:
General engine oil light

penllyndyfi

Change Engine oil warning appeared 50 miles ago. I purchased an OBD2 scanner from uk diagnostics and multiecuscanner registration. Having great difficulty making it work with my win 10 laptop which doesn't list ports in the device manager so I can't get to the coms port or slow the latency. Has anyone come up against this problem ?
Assuming it may take a while to sort out Multiecuscanner, and about to set off on a long journey, I wonder if I will end up in limp mode or worse after say another 500miles? Needless to say, the oil was changed recently but no reset performed.

I wouldn’t have thought a change engine oil light would effect limp home mode. It’s not an engine fault just a reminder to change the oil.

I wouldn’t have thought a change engine oil light would effect limp home mode. It’s not an engine fault just a reminder to change the oil.

I'd this is the diesel engine it will go into limp mode after 500 miles to protect the engine from what it assumes is oil that has been in service for thousands of miles

Limp mode after 500 miles of not the changing oil? I find that very surprising.

Limp mode after 500 miles of not the changing oil? I find that very surprising.

Why is it?
The light comes on when the oil has been in the car for for a very long time 15k+ mike's normally depending on the driving style and it does it to protect the engine as the dpf regens can put diesel's into the oil if not fully completed hence the warning for oil changes

Note this has nothing to do with the quality of the oils but it requires the ECU is told the oil has been changed at service time

Thank you for your replies.But I am still not clear sorry.
Do you think I will or won't go into limp mode? Do you know what the trigger mileage for limp mode might be?
Since the only fix will be getting my shiny new scanner and registered multiecuscan to talk to one another I wonder if you experienced a problem with win10 installations? Even after re installing the software it is still disconnecting instantly saying there is a problem with the leads or the usb connections. Any ideas?

Thank you for your replies.But I am still not clear sorry.
Do you think I will or won't go into limp mode? Do you know what the trigger mileage for limp mode might be?
Since the only fix will be getting my shiny new scanner and registered multiecuscan to talk to one another I wonder if you experienced a problem with win10 installations? Even after re installing the software it is still disconnecting instantly saying there is a problem with the leads or the usb connections. Any ideas?

Hi Again :)

Where is your 'long journey' taking you ?

Have a look on the member register..
You may find that a 20 minute stop could get it cleared..
I have yet to update my MES.. So no FIAT listings after 2013

Charlie

i'm travelling cross country from darkest mid wales to the lincolnshire coast. shadeyman is an MES holder in west mids but I havent got his reply. But having forked out on the MES and OBD scanner I hope I can get my new kit to work but get nowhere with it today

i'm travelling cross country from darkest mid wales to the lincolnshire coast. shadeyman is an MES holder in west mids but I havent got his reply. But having forked out on the MES and OBD scanner I hope I can get my new kit to work but get nowhere with it today

Check on the settings page on mes you should be able to see you interfaces on interfaces section of the settings and test it

Zeewulf :)

Im around an hour too far South in most events..

But could at least offer a cable swap at some point..

I do seem to recall Win10 did cause some bugs..

s130 might know

Last edited:
Thank you all for giving me advice on MES. I finally got the software scanner and car to talk to each other. Reading entries elsewhere on the site, it was suggested that I check each and every USB socket in turn to see if one of them was activated. One was activated and so now my MES is functioning. Resetting the service milages and dates is straight forward. I set the intervals at 20K and reduced the coupons from 7 to 0. On diesels you also have to reset the engine oil refill warning (additionally) which requires careful concentration on the instructions from MES. When you restart the engine after reset the screen says "oil change done".
I now have a dashboard free of warning lights. Heaven!

Too late as you have it sorted but I managed to reset the oil service indicator on my 2017 Tipo 1.3 Diesel using the procedure below. I think I found this on Reddit last year when the garage who serviced my car weren't able to reset the oil and service indicators. I don't have the original link unfortunately but the below is what I wrote down at the time.

Switch the ignition to position one but don't start the engine.

Press and hold the accelerator.

Tap the brake pedal 7 times then continue to hold the accelerator down for a further 60 seconds.

Release the accelerator and turn off the ignition. Wait 60 seconds.

When you turn it back on the oil warning should be reset. Just wish it worked for the service indicator too.

Too late as you have it sorted ...

Press and hold the accelerator.

Tap the brake pedal 7 times then continue to hold the accelerator down for a further 60 seconds.

Release the accelerator and turn off the ignition. Wait 60 seconds.

Do you tap the brake pedal with your left foot while keeping the accelerator down with you right?

Or just a minute on the accellerator then move across to the brake??

On other cars people seem to think these Dodges only work on certain ECU /Build specs.

But if that saves it going into limp mode on the way to visit somebody on the Register .. then thats useful

Unlike garages charging people for a 'service' when all they are equipped to do is change the oil.

Diesels will need the DPF kit resetting too.. something else people end up joining the forum to fix.

Charlie

I kept the accelerator pressed down the whole time while tapping the brake. Continue to hold for the 60 second after taking the brake off.

I was pretty surprised when it came off as I know there are a few of these combinations floating about that don't work.

I thought the dpf would be fine after the oil reset so didn't do anything with that. My understanding was that once the oil service is reset the dpf knows it can clear itself as there is fresh oil.

Back