General Engine number identification

Currently reading:
General Engine number identification

I am looking for a chart that will help identify roughly when my motor was produced. I find all kinds of charts regarding chassis production. The links on the British sites I find are all dead. Thanks for the help in advance.

At the risk of being proved wrong, I don't think that there is a way of finding out when a specific engine was built. Only a between 'A--B' date can be arrived at by knowing the model of the car and when that was built. When I had my car dated (and where it was built) by the Fiat UK Homologation Manager, he commented that the engine build date could not be ascertained.
cry.gif
smile.gif

Although not a definite I think I recall the oil filter cover being date stamped as I recall noticing mine was when I had it off to clean out. If I recall it was stamped on the inside with what appeared to be month and year identifier. The cover could have been changed, not sure if any other parts are date stamped. When I did a bit of research before buying my 500 I got the impression engines were treated as an easy swap out component so there seems to be little interest if engine and chassis numbers matched as they came out the factory.

as far as we found out in german fiat-500-forum (www.500forum.de) the engine number is about 8-10% above the chassis number...
Just tell us your engine-number and we can try tho help...

Now I have looked through the register of the german forum and so I would say that this engine should be build in the first months of 1968.
There is - for example - a 500 with first registration in 6/68 with enginge number 1753xxx and some others with similar numbers all with first registration in 1968...

btw a production date should be cast into the block behind the flywheel...

Last edited:
Back