Technical Engine noise

Currently reading:
Technical Engine noise

HornetUK

Established member
Never noticed if my car has always done this or not!

The engine sounds a bit clunky when idleing, but push the clutch in rattle noise goes, release comes back.

All drives fine, no slip etc or other noises.

Any ideas

Thanks

Certainly it's the clutch release bearing but it could go on doing that for a very long time. It's just rattling at idle- some do -some don't. The bearing is literally a small lump in a cage so that's what it sounds like. Some do it when they've just been renewed. The bearing is just plain on the loose when the pedal is up and the engine is idling. A slight engine vibration at tickover is all it takes

Now if you have noises when you push the clutch down, squeals, clunks, clicks, pings or squeals as you let the clutch up then it's more likely time to check your bank funds as that's the clutch bearing giving up on the strain of it all

Deckchair5 thanks for the assurance. No other noises when using pedal at any time, just the idle noise until clutch pressed in, so from what you say not a problem....touch wood!

Sorry to disagree but I wonder if you might be hearing the gears in the gearbox rattling on the shafts when in neutral - very common on the older FIATs - of course when you disengage the clutch, the gears stop turning and the noises stop. But that doesn't mean that it's necessarily anything to do with the clutch.

I think you should check the gearbox oil level, and if OK then just ignore any idle rattle noise etc. since the clutch itself is working OK.

As for the creaking, have you tried spraying the various clutch pedal pivot points with silicone spray or similar?

Just my thoughts.
-Alex

AlexGS the dealer did say something about noisey gears, especially 5th?

Would the gearchange stop being smooth if the oil level was low? What other signs are there that gearbox oil low, without physically checking level?

Thanks

Alex,
Gearbox slop in layshaft and bearings is more symptomatic of an old and very worn high mileage gearbox. Hornet's gearbox is very low mileage and the clutch bearing rattle is a common noise at tickover

Hornet
A gearbox runs with very little attention paid to the gearbox oil. Often,the only time the oil is changed is when a clutch is replaced, just because oil is lost out of the box when removing it

Sign of low oil? Noise, heat, stiffness when engaging gears.

Last edited:
So will the gears crunch when low oil as a sign, also would I be able to detect the heat, if so where?

Thanks again

A gearbox running dry bearings without oil gets hot and smells really bad. Gears get hot and that makes them very stiff to select or pull out of gear.

People have been known to install gearboxes and forget to put any oil in so it's running just on its installation lubrication and they've still lived to tell the tale

Yours has just come out the garage hasn't it?

Yes, but all gears select fine in & out so I was hoping that meant not low oil and more as you said just a noisey bearing.

Back