Technical Engine mount replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Engine mount replacement

Austin09

Hi again everyone. I've done a search for this but haven't found any mention of replacing the mount so i have started a new thread.

I have a 1.6 Stilo and my engine mount is in need of replacement. I've just bought one (see picture) and need to replace it. I was wondering if anyone has done this on theirs already and if so, any idea how to do it?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• engine mount.jpg
    engine mount.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 81
I havent done it yet, but... I'm off this morning to buy one and hopefully fit it.

Looks very easy ( depends on your view point :D ) to do.

Once done I will post info.

Mark

Thanks. I managed to do it the other day. One of the bolts was so incredibly stiff though which was why i posted the thread initially! It was just rusted from all the water and salt on the road! It also fixed my engine wobble so all is good for now touch wood!
Good luck

Just a heads up on this one, the 1.6 rear engine mount

rear mount 1.JPG
The mount relies on the centre through bolt (marked here in red) being tight enough to hold it in place by friction as it has movement and is adjustable. It's a surprising "brick in a bucket" sloppy fit, it loosens with constant strain and unless the centre bolt is tight enough then it gives all the appearance of a worn engine mount and can cause clutch judder too. So I'd advise back off the centre bolt a little to loosen it and then retighten it up and see first if that cures the mount movement

The bolt, as people have found, becomes very stiff to remove when it's half way out with surface corrosion on the exposed top half of the bolt and if it shears off on removal then it'll be big trouble to replace. So take it easy if you're removing it and turn the bolt back and forward to ease it out

You'd expect the centre bolt to be a tight fit in the mount but it isn't and it's difficult to see in there to see what's moving, you can also see holes in the rubber mount which makes it look like it's perished but that's just the design of it. Unless the centre bolt is holding the mount tight enough with friction then it will move a lot and look as if the mount is worn out

I bought a new mount for that reason but it is still hanging on my garage wall as there was nothing wrong with the old one. A quick 5min check could save you hours of work and expense

Last edited:
Damn!

Wish I'd seen the previous post before today.

I've just managed to remove that bolt!!!!

The original mount is showing signs of the rubber tearing but the new one is no slacker!!! As in the previous post it's that bolt which goes slack I think.

I may fit a bush on the bolt first or more likely just put it back as normal but with the new mount and a lot of torque.

Mark ( currently resting arm due to fiat bolt fatigue)

Back