Technical engine management! !

Currently reading:
Technical engine management! !

mikeypunto84

Hi all wondering if anyone can help me with this one. I drive a 1.2 8v punto active 54 plate, which has run fine until a few days ago when I noticed the engine had become louder when pressing the acceleration, like a roaring noise a race car would make. I assumed this was an exhaust issue but tonight while trying to pull out of a junction the car cut out twice, wouldnt restart and then I had to really rev the engine to get it going. Only thing is now the engine management light has come on and im worried the noise is related and there's a more serious reason behind it. If anyone can shed some light on what it could possibly be it would be a massive help thanks, BTW the car had been running less than 5 mins from cold when it cut out tonight.

I live in hull, just read another thread that mentioned disconnecting the battery for a few minutes so I did and the light has gone out not sure what that means to be honest tho.

It means you've wiped the codes (and thus the clues!) :bang:

Great. Splendid. Wonderful.

There's a chance they're still there. Give it a go.

But, for next time, the EML light comes on when the ECU receives an unexpected reading from a sensor. Sometimes it's the sensor going down, sometimes it's a "real" fault. Reading the codes gives you a very good indication of what the issue is (sometimes it'll take you straight to it).

Try reading the codes. Without that, it's a matter of physical inspection, etc.

It means you've wiped the codes (and thus the clues!) :bang:

Great. Splendid. Wonderful.

There's a chance they're still there. Give it a go.

But, for next time, the EML light comes on when the ECU receives an unexpected reading from a sensor. Sometimes it's the sensor going down, sometimes it's a "real" fault. Reading the codes gives you a very good indication of what the issue is (sometimes it'll take you straight to it).

Try reading the codes. Without that, it's a matter of physical inspection, etc.

codes should still be there, still needs reading so you know what happened

so its still noisey ? find out where noise is coming from, could be a failed baffle in the exhaust back box,

Yeah its still noisy mainly when revs go above 2k and more noticeable at slower speeds, like a roaring noise, not pin pointed exactly where its coming from but its definately in the engine bay

if it's a holed exhaust making the noise, I'd be super cautious about driving it.

An exhaust part dropping off at speed can be serious

(Although that wouldn't necessarily explain the symptoms, I'd be doing the easy check before driving it)

So I had a local mechanic out to read the codes for £15 and found faults with both coil packs, which would explain the cutting out and juddering I've been experiencing. He also identified the noise as the exhast at the flex has gone. Also picked up a fault with airbags saying the warning light has been removed off the speedometer and a fuel sensor fault.

The error said coil intermittent for both, do you think of that could be leads?

Back