Technical Engine Management System Light

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Management System Light

sh33n

Last night while driving at 30 miles an hour! Yes really!! My punto (16v Sporting MK2) kind of lost all of its power (engine still on tho)! ;)

The engine management system light was flashing, I stopped at some lights and then it stopped flashing, after continueing the light came on again, and the power in my car was totally f**ked!

My mate (mechanic) thinks that it could be a spark plug that just failed as I was able to drive home (10 miles) be it slowly! The engine just felt like it wanted to give up but didn't!

Anyone had a similar problem? ;)

probably not a spark plug,you have an engine management fault,which the ECU has detected and has put the engine on'get you home mode' to avoid engine damage.unless you have an obvious fault eg.loose connection on a sensor.your best course of action is too take it to FIAT for a diagnostic test £25-£40.that way you will know whats wrong and untill you have done this its not really recommended that you drive the car as you could be causing damage depending on the fault

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

Yer I think I'm gonna try changing the spark plugs when I get back, see what happens, if no luck then will have to take it to FIAT.

They are a bloody rip off tho [:(!]

Maybe worth checking under the bonnet for loose or cracked breather pipes. These can play havoc and make the engine run really rough.

Yeah i had exactly the same problem the other day at the same speed. I had to get towed to Fiat and then they replaced the ECU for me (under warranty). The ECU was f*cked so wasnt telling one of the coils to work, so one or two of the cylinders werent firing.
They did say they had a few mk2 Punto's come in with the same problem and that they have to re-programme every punto that comes in from now!!
Its a shame your car isnt under warranty (or is it?) anyway hope this helps

EVERYONE- SPRAY YOUR PUNTOS BLACK

Well I don't think it is under warreny it's like 3 weeks out :(

Did they give an idea of how much that would cost to get fixed??

If it's expensive I'm just gonna throw a wobbely down the garage about buying it 5 months ago, it being 3 years old and now THIS!! ffs! [:(!]

Relevent?

https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10387

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.

I am a schizophrenic currently so please bear with me whilst I try to get rid of the 40+ personality.

i would test coil pack, take no 1 plug out( timing belt end) put lead back on turn engine over if plug dont spark its the rear coil pack, if plug does spark put it back and do the same with no 2 plug if that dont spark its the front coil pack.
you can do this test with new plugs with out removing the old ones if you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

Engine management light comes on then engine revs up or fluctuates.

A fault caused by a faulty temperature sensor located in the corner of the inlet manifold - gear box side. These sensors suffer from dead spots in the linear operation of the sensor at certain temperatures as the coolant heats up, this causes the ECU to think that the engine is running colder than it actually is and therefore adds more fuel and a higher idle speed to compensate. The sensor should be replaced and the two short lengths of wire that connect to also.
http://www.peacockandpurvey.co.uk/fiat_common_ecu_failures.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

All the plugs are sparking so the coil pack must be ok!

I don't think that link is relevant for my Punto, but thanks anyway :)

I've change the plugs and it does seem to be a lot better now!!

The Engine Management light isn't coming on anymore anyway. I'm not sure if it's 100% right (it maybe and I'm just being a bit over paranoid tho).

I went down to the guy I bought it off at the dealership and told him about it he's getting the service dept. to give it a look over for me.

So I'll know for sure then, fingers crossed it was just a damn plug failing!!!

Back