Technical Engine Management light comes on at exactly 70mph !

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Management light comes on at exactly 70mph !

chenny

I have a Sei Sporting (2001) which seems to run perfectly fine, apart from when I hit 70mph, the yellow engine management light comes on and flashes regularly. If I push on through 80-85mph, it stops and goes out, and if I slow down, it takes a little while, but eventually goes out.

I'm not really massively bothered as it still seems to run pretty smoothly, but at the last service, my friendly local Fiat dealer could find nothing wrong, apart from diagnosing it wrongly as a faulty spark plug lead and lightening my wallet to the tune of £50 for that particular privilage !!

Im guesing its soemthing to do with a sensor, but before I start taking things apart unnecessarily, I thought I'd check if anyone else had had the same experience?

May sound really silly but...

You car doesn't have a "speed warning" function does it?

Someone may have set it to 70mph?

If it flashes i think is more serious and you have to slow down and if it insists then stop & park..... You have good changes to destroy the converter

If it stays you can drive because it is just remind you that happened an error or fault but istantly......

I have a similar prob in my 1996 cinq... it'll start and run fine but after about a minute of driving the EM light comes on and stays on... if i sit in traffic at idle for a while the light goes out.
However when moving its always on. That said the car runs fine, but i don't fancy having it plugged in at fiat coz i know how much they'll charge me :(

If it flashes i think is more serious and you have to slow down and if it insists then stop & park..... You have good changes to destroy the converter

Nope wrong, the flashing engine light isnt as serious when compared to it being permanatly on.

From memory the flashing engine light indicates an emissions problem/misread, be it from a sensor, or a bit more worse than that - the catalytic converter is damaged.

Putting your foot down usually gets rid of it, but that doesnt mean everything is ok. The data will be stored in the ECU. The flashing light will no doubt come back sporadically.

It may be worth having a diagnostic check done to yours, just to see what the problem is, i would say its sensor related rather than cat related though.

I had the same thing happen on mine (flashing light on mway) and it turned out to be the O2 sensor at fault. A quick clean of it due to years and road salt and muck and everything was back to normal :)

Just double check though via your owners manual that it is emissions related when the light flashes although im 90% sure it is from memory

The manual of sei Mk2 says that flashing means emissions problem and if you continue you are gonna destroy the converter ....
Not flashing light you can continue but you have to go to dealer check the problem.

Mine sometimes only at startup misfires (coil- ecu problem) for a second and then it runs perfect. The light stays on and go off after some km and restart. When it stays on there is no problem the ignition works perfect but it just says that there was a sporadic error when i plug the diagnostic . I f you have severe missfire (I had a day from a destroyd spark plug) then you will see the light flashing warning you to stop because all the unburnt fuel poisoning the converter.....

The manual of sei Mk2 says that flashing means emissions problem and if you continue you are gonna destroy the converter ....
Not flashing light you can continue but you have to go to dealer check the problem.

The manual doesnt say 'stop what you have got planned, please drive to us, even on a sunday when we might not be open and we'll repair instantly' either, i doubt highly because a light begins to flash, a cat converter (as im gathering this is what they are referring to when they say 'converter') is going to be damaged straight away

My point was in qouting your post is that i dont deny no damage could take place if this was left untreated over a period of time, i never said that.

What i didnt agree with in your post was that you said a flashing light is more serious than one that is permanantly on, in which case, having experienced the exact same problem myself, i saw no performance effects, running etc and therefore i do not agree with you. I did get the problem resolved, but not straight away

You dont necessarily have to go to a dealer to check either, providing an independent garage has the correct equipment a diagnosis can be made elsewhere

Last edited:
Hi, I have exactly the same fault as described on this old thread. When up to full temperature and as the Tacho approaches 4000 the MIL light will start to flash, this happens with light throttle, (hard acceleration it stays off). The car runs fine, but I want to get it right. I have tried a new O2 sensor and crank sensor, the only fault showing on the diagnostics are an 'intermittant misfire' that could be attributed to just about any component on the car! If it is misfiring is isn't enough to be felt fron the drivers seat! I have tried the Phonic Wheel Learn process. My car is a 2002 Seicento Sporting. Any ideas? Did you guys finally cure it?

My last Schumi had this problem, which wasn't cured by changing anything, including the ECU. However, it did have low compression on one cylinder - only 125psi. Unfortunately someone came out of a side turning and took the front corner off before I had a chance to do anything about it, so I can't tell you that that was the reason. Amongst your other checks, it might be worth doing a compression test though.
(BTW, you seem to have another thread running on this(?) - it may be worth bringing them together to avoid confusion and duplication.)

Hi, thanks for the response, sad to hear that yours met with a premature end! I did post on two relevant threads in the hope that someone has found the solution!! Being new to this forum game I don't know how best to go about it.

Thanks for the response, sadly though I have tried this a couple of times with no change.

Roger

Back