Technical Engine light + airbag light on ...

Currently reading:
Technical Engine light + airbag light on ...

lukebrenner

Hi there ... newbie to this forum here ...

Yesterday was the worst day of my life :(

I own a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 (gas, no 16 valves). Bought it last December with 85.000 km, never had any problems with it.

So yesterday I drove from Romania to Munich and suddenly near Szolnok the engine light (yellow) and airbag light (red) came up and the engine starts loosing power. I stop the car and the idle was EXTREMELY rough, vibration were so high that you had the feeling it's about to stop and die.

I continue my way with reduced power, had to push the gas pedal very hard.

Near Budapest I changed the sparkplugs but to no avail. Same thing.

Then I drove all the way to Munich ( I HAD to be here today) at no more than 90 km/h ... about 800 km. From time to time it kinda catched in ... looked like it was ok, power came back, but only for 5 seconds ...

What can that be ? And why both lights suddenly came on ?

I checked the fuses, they are ok. Is there an airbag relay that might got dammaged ?

I will take the car tomorrow to ATU (Autoteile Unger) but wanted to have an opinion first. Any comment is appreciated. Who knows, maybe there's something I can fix myself.

Thank you.

Luc

Hi, thanks for the tip.
As I said I am not technically savvy :)
Can you please tell me where the ECU is located ?

Thanks,

Luc

Update

I took the car to a Fiat dealer and the mechanic said that when the car died on me, it was a faulty coil. And the fact that I drove it on such a long distance, has toasted the ECU. he asked me for 880 Euros !!!! to replace it.
I said no way I'm not gonna pay that much. He also said that no other used ECU can be put on the car because the one that it has now is programmed to work only with this car, and that it cannot pe reprogrammed, etc ...

I found a new one on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/Fiat-Punto-1...ryZ10382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They say it is Plug-and-Play.

I would like to have an opinion on that. They seem to have very good feedback.

I also wnat to change both coils, not only the faulty one, but as I said, I am not very technically savy so here's what I found :

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ignition-Co...ryZ10382QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Is this one or both :) ???

If I buy the ECU and the coil(s) would it be hard to replace for a new do-it-yoursel-er like me :)) ? Or should I go to a shop ?

Thanks a lot, appreciate,

Luc

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back