Technical Engine identification

Currently reading:
Technical Engine identification

bluesplayer

How can i identify a FIRE engine , mine is a 95 Uno Start 1e , sorry for been thick :confused: :)

Easy way is to look at the oil filler cap. If it is at the right end of the engine (driver's side in UK) and square, black plastic that pushes into place, it's a FIRE engine. Also the spark plugs are across the back of this engine, and the exhaust manifold is on the front. The cam cover is basically flat on top, made of alloy.

Most likely it is a 999cc FIRE, by the way :) The 999cc has the air filter housing and cambelt cover in black plastic, the 1108cc has these parts in blue.

Cheers,
-Alex

Thanks Alex , its slightly reassuring to know i wont total the motor if the belt snaps . I'm slowly getting to grips with the layout of this Uno . to be honest its not that bad getting around things . However another little problem is developing , when i got the car i noticed the horn was shagged . on investigation the inner of the horn had melted ! .so I fitted a horn from a scrappy BMW and weeks later this suddenly started beeping as i drove onto Tesco :bang: you should of seen the looks , anyway i had to disconnect , and sure enough , its melted too , what do you think the problem is ?

Sounds like the horn button contacts in the steering wheel centre, doesn't it? Maybe the wire has come loose or a brass plate has bent. I'm assuming that the Mk2 Uno has the button in the steering wheel (the Mk1 has a very-reliable switch on the indicator stalk).

I think the horn melting is because it's not designed to operate continuously (it might be different to Italian-specification...)

-Alex

...and that must have been mega-embarrassing, driving into Tesco's with the horn blasting. It reminds me of that Thomas The Tank Engine story about Gordon with the stuck whistle.

I think I'd have held both my arms in the air, in a giantly-expressive shrug. Or maybe jumped out of the car and run for it...

-Alex

Back