Engine help

Currently reading:
Engine help

P

Paul

I have a Brava on a 2001 plate, 1.2 16v, that has got problems with the engine, it looks like the rings have gone, its done 122,000 miles

Does anyone know how much it would cost to recon the engine or if it is cheaper to find a second hand engine.

Whilst i have never reconed an engine before, i am reasonably competent to do most things in a car, or am I fooling myself that I can do this myself?

Find a second hand one.

But first work out exactly what is wrong as it may not be what you think.

What do you mean by it might not be what you think?

You said 'it looks like the rings have gone', best to make sure it is actually the rings and not something that is more easily fixable like valve guides before you start spending money.

Worn bores = scrap engine
Worn valve guides = fixable

I have been told on good authority that it is the rings, the reason for this is that the engine is presurising itself which is popping the dipstick up.

Do you know of any other reason why the dipstick would be pushed up?

Any help is greatly appreaciated

Why do you think its the rings?? if in dought check it out. I spent a small fortune before taking my brava to a auto electrician (different problem) turned out to be something completely different.
I would forget doing it yourself unless you really are sure of what you are doing, and i don't mean armed with Haynes under your arm.. lead me astray many times.
IF worst comes to worst opt for secondhand engine.

"Do you know of any other reason why the dipstick would be pushed up?"

Blocked crank case breather.

The reason i think it is the rings is because of the problem with the dipstick. with the dipstick pushed down, it was run for about 10 miles and as soon as it was stopped the dipstick was let out and it hissed for about 5 seconds.

The guy i was shook his head and said, "thats your rings that is" and he knows more about engines than me,

Sounds possible. Try getting second opinion/quote from say three Garages of your choice. Remember not to say 'do you think it could be...', let them tell you. Then you can do the same with a secondhand engine and work out what is best for you. If you decide on the secondhand option then you'll have a engine to tinker with.

Thanks for all your input on this, will get others to give their opinion .

Does anyone know what a secondhand engine would cost?

Egine help

Just the unit i'am afraid, and thats not rebuilt either. If you go secondhand make sure the engine is a runner. No easy way if it's not in a car but check oil condition, plugs etc.. that will give you some idea. I made the mistake many years ago of accepting an engine and the reasons for its rather tatty condition..to my cost.Take someone with you if your unsure.

Its impossible for the crank case to become pressurised as it has a breather to the open air. Or at least it should.

A blocked breather will give that result.

Check it as its a £10ish fix.

Just a quick update...

Found a nice man in a little garage and asked him to have a quick look.

30 mins later with the breather pipe unblocked fresh oil filter and oil and she's purring again.

Lesson to oneself, stop being so pessimistic.

Thanks for all your advice though guys.

Now that is a fantastic result and a lesson to us all - if Tom says try it then try it. :) ;)

"What's the word on the street Huggy Bear? ;)"
1344sig.jpg

http://www.billhicks.com/ New Ozrics Site now up: - http://www.ozrics.com/

Glad its sorted.

BTW, the crankcases ARE working on sealed system. All blowby and vapours are drawn into the manifold via an oil seperator to be burned during combustion. :)

Worn bores = scrap engine

in my little world

Worn bores = rebore and bigger pistons all be it, at about the same cost as a good replacement engine :) but then i do get rather bored

Assuming you can get bigger pistons for sensible money.

When you can pick up oversize pistons for an A-series/ford crossflow/etc.. for £50-100 a rebore is sensible.