General Engine Help URGENT!

Currently reading:
General Engine Help URGENT!

Following on from Tony's thread re his engine problems...

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=56519

I went to remove the engine from my spares car & someone had ripped the bonnet off, the rain has got down the carb into the block so it's knackered.

We urgently need a 1.1 engine the same as Tony's for a clean swap. Other avenue's are a 1000i & we'll just swap manifolds or at last resort a 999 with carb then it will require a change of ign system etc.

I was willing to do it all for free including supplying the engine so can some kind sole out there help, as if not a selecta will be heading for the scrap yard and we can't allow that can we.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
e505jpy said:
I really hope you get sorted out tony, I know the feeling of an engineless selecta:(

Jim
oh it's got an engine alright ! :)

huge lump of worthless metal... still there's is in the boot of that car a full set of suspension that is brand new (ironic nes pas?)... so when i have a hold of Alan I shall get all of that done at the same time. there's anew timing belt aswell ... I'm sure they would have been better actually on the car rather than in it though

Hi,

It's a big ask, but any chance of a sump off of one of these dead engines to repair my poor panda?

cheers Damon

Do you have the SPI assy with the double cable pick up from the original Selecta engine ?
Do you have the clutch from the original Selecta engine ?
Rgds.

There's everything still in the car... including a very lumpy top end...

you can turn the key and it runs... albeit with a 1cm pogo upwards.

along with the alternator and other bits... maybe get away with just a new head hmm.. wait i've alraedy posted all that. not that anyone took any notice!

arc said:
along with the alternator and other bits... maybe get away with just a new head hmm.. wait i've alraedy posted all that. not that anyone took any notice!
it was noticed :) but we were hoping to transplant the whole lump, saves time and peace of mind. and it's cheaper to get an engine as a whole rather than trawl through a damaged one finding what needs replacing... well it's cheaper if you own a fiat panda normally anyway.

christopher watson said:
Sorry cant help you, but thought you might want a list of the other cars with the 1108cc engine to look for...

Punto 55,
cinq sporting,
sei sporting

Add the Mk2 Uno 60S to the list as that also had the 1108cc fitted in both carburetor and SPI form!

Alan.D said:
Tony I'm not sure of that system but I can use your inlet manifold with injection system anyway. Can anyone confirm that the gearbox will fit?

If you mean will your gearbox fit with a later/ different FIRE engine then yes, it will. Apparently any FIRE gearbox will mate with any FIRE engine (use the appropriate clutch and flywheel though). Whether a later/ different gearbox will fit a Panda's mounts and driveshafts I don't know. But your old gearbox should hook up fine (y)

To Alan D.
If you have the clutch and the SPI unit thats fine. My question is, If you utilize the engine from a different car, ie a Punto 55, which had a manual gearbox, will the crankshaft have the splines required to drive the CVT boxes oil pump driveshaft?

Without the oil pump being continously driven, the Selecta box will not work and you will have done a lot of work for nothing. I have asked this question of Fiat and on other forums, I have never had a worthwhile response.
Rgds.

petel said:
To Alan D.
If you have the clutch and the SPI unit thats fine. My question is, If you utilize the engine from a different car, ie a Punto 55, which had a manual gearbox, will the crankshaft have the splines required to drive the CVT boxes oil pump driveshaft?

Without the oil pump being continously driven, the Selecta box will not work and you will have done a lot of work for nothing. I have asked this question of Fiat and on other forums, I have never had a worthwhile response.
Rgds.
This sounds most inconvenient... without having the luxury of engines for comparison and a duplex garage to work in... Bu**er:(

Back