Engine cuts out!

Currently reading:
Engine cuts out!

C

chris j

Hi, i've got a brava 1.8 elx and when the car gets warm the engine cuts out and won't start again till it has cooled down, any ideas?

Could be many things. Things I know that can cause this are sensors failing (especially crank position sensor), iffy coils or coil packs, depending on whats fitted, or fuel vapour locks. This list is not exhaustive. Has it been regularly serviced/high mileage? You may wish to consider changing the plugs and ht leads as well if separate from the coils. If its low mileage/well looked after then go for the sensor if fitted.

I had this happen to me on a 'rover'. Garage had it in couple of times and thought it had been'cured' but it happened again, each time I called the garage out, [I'd bought it from them 3mths previous]. In the end the owner said "it stays until we do cure it". It turned out to be the 'carbon brush' in the distributor cap, when the engine got hot it would'nt make contact. they said it was a very unusual thing to happen. Its a long shot but you never know.

ronako

the carbon brush in the dizzy cap isnt that unusual, had it happen on my dads bm 730 a few years ago, and on my mums vaux monterey, it will wear down after time as its under continious friction.

unfortunately the bravo has a coil pack, not a dizzy cap, so id say thats not the problem.

Andy_sx

Andy

andysxtag.jpg

frustration.gif

I've got another brava same engine, that works fine, what would you recommend i change over to see if it makes a difference? Just want to try everything so any comments are welcome!

Swap all the high tension stuff coil/coil packs and HT leads if separate. Thats probably the easiest.