General Engine Cranking,rev counter not moving, just can get it to run

Currently reading:
General Engine Cranking,rev counter not moving, just can get it to run

cookie73

Hi, we have a 2007, 1.2l punto grand. The car lost power and died at the roadside. We towed it home but we have not been able to get it started ever since.
We have replaced the battery. The car is cranking but nothing else seems to be happening. The rev counter doesn't move. It will throw the power steering light on the dash and tells on the drivers display.
It's driving us mad. All help with be gratefully received.

Hi, we have a 2007, 1.2l punto grand. The car lost power and died at the roadside. We towed it home but we have not been able to get it started ever since.
We have replaced the battery. The car is cranking but nothing else seems to be happening. The rev counter doesn't move. It will throw the power steering light on the dash and tells on the drivers display.
When you say the car is cranking/ turning over, I assume it isn't turning over "too fast" as in cam belt broken/snapped and no compression and engine damage.
Has it been checked for any error codes with a diagnostic tool ?
A common issue with modern cars is the crankshaft position sensor, which can fail with the engine warmed up and then just die and coast to a halt, generally if you are lucky after 30 minutes or so when it has cooled down the car will restart as though nothing wrong.
If it is that, then usually a diagnostic tool will show the error code telling you.
I assume you have checked all the wiring and earthing points to make sure nothing obvious has caused the failure.

Hi :)
How was it with the old battery..?

Did jumpleads make any difference??

So..
Is the immobiliser showing its symbol then clearing.. is the fuel pump whirring for 5/10 seconds?

Do all of the normal dashboard lights come on as normal? Including the yellow engine light?

When turning on starter motor do you get a spark at a spark plug?

Crankshaft position sensors often fail without causing a fault code so no crankshaft position sensor code does not mean that sensor is good.

When you say the car is cranking/ turning over, I assume it isn't turning over "too fast" as in cam belt broken/snapped and no compression and engine damage.
A common issue with modern cars is the crankshaft position sensor, which can fail with the engine warmed up and then just die and coast to a halt, generally if you are lucky after 30 minutes or so when it has cooled down the car will restart as though nothing wrong.
If it is that, then usually a diagnostic tool will show the error code telling you.
I assume you have checked all the wiring and earthing points to make sure nothing obvious has caused the fai

I assume you have checked all the wiring and earthing points to make sure nothing obvious has caused the failure.
I've just had the AA out and has it down to either the coil pack
@cookie73

We are all poised to assist here.. (y)

Just need some answers in return :)
I've had the AA out and the guy spent an hour trying to sort it. He has concluded its either the coil pack or the ECU.

Does it have single or twin voil packs.

I would look at the crank sensor xnd check cambelt but I'm sure MrAA has done the second on of those

Hi :)
How was it with the old battery..?

Did jumpleads make any difference??

So..
Is the immobiliser showing its symbol then clearing.. is the fuel pump whirring for 5/10 seconds?
Jump leads did nothing. The immobilizer symbol isn't showing on the dash and the fuel pump is whirring.
The car isnt getting the spark

Ive seen a lot mention the crank sensor. Is there a handy way to test this.
The only fault code is saying there's an open circuit. He tested numerous connections and fuses.
Does it have single or twin voil packs.

I would look at the crank sensor xnd check cambelt but I'm sure MrAA has done the second on of those

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303_133451_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230303_133451_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 38
Crank Sensor...

If its NOT registering rotation..you get no RPM indicated

If its NOT sending roation..there is no trigger to spark

On BASIC engines.. it wont KNOW its not turning.. so wont build a FaultCode
That's exactly my issue and a cheaper option to try first. Cheers

The clue to me is the first post that says.

"Cranks but rev counter doesn't move"
Just received the report from AA. I've attached it to see if it makes sense to you all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230304_004401_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230304_004401_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 37
Just received the report from AA. I've attached it to see if it makes sense to you all
I would start with a wiring fault, earthing points, low battery voltage issue etc. Especially where getting a variety of error messages. Unless water has got into a ECU in my experience on most makes of vehicles the ECU is generally quite reliable.
Maybe other Forum members have better specific guidance on where to start .

I would start with a wiring fault, earthing points, low battery voltage issue etc. Especially where getting a variety of error messages. Unless water has got into a ECU in my experience on most makes of vehicles the ECU is generally quite reliable.
Maybe other Forum members have better specific guidance on where to start .
The wiring has all been checked with no issues found.
I agree that the ECU is the least possible fault

Back