Technical Engine back in, lack of power, clutch/throttle adjustment?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine back in, lack of power, clutch/throttle adjustment?

Guy1195

Managed to get new clutch in and timing belt on and new injector in. Engine starts instantly and runs sweet.

Having an issue with the throttle/clutch though.. throttle cable opens the butterfly fully (I think, it did when I first put it in) but the TB doesn't close fully so the idle is all over, I have to pull up on the cable with my foot up to get the valve closed fully.

When flooring it it feels like either the clutch is slipping all the time or the butterfly isn't opening fully... Doesn't go anywhere at all and struggled over 50mph

Any thoughts on getting the throttle cable adjusted, when I pulled the cable adjuster on the throttle body out even more it just made the engine rev up like crazy. It didn't do this on the first test drive (I had no exhaust on, put stock one back on now)

I'm not sure on whether clutch is adjusted properly, it still crunches a little going into reverse, but all gears including 1st are selectable. Should i tighten the adjuster some more or back it off?

The throttle, if i rev it, it won't go back to the sub 1000rpm idle, it will sit at 1.1k rpm unless i pull the pedal up with my foot, i revved the car via the butterfly with my hand, and the throttle body plate thing doesn't actually close up the gap fully, i have to turn it by hand to close it fully (similar to what my foot does haha)

I drove down to a nearby garage to get there opinion, he said without looking at it it sounds like the throttle cable could be routed incorrectly? i had the engine out previously so he said it could be snagging on something or bent too sharply? Can't find a decent picture of where it's meant to go though :/

I'll see if i can get a video now!

Wiggled the throttle cable around a bit and it snapped straight back into place, seems like it was kinked somewhere. Pedal now opens the butterfly fully (can tell with difference in sound when driving..)

However it still feels a bit gutless... especially up hills, cant get above 30 in 2nd up hill Maybe the clutch is still slipping or timing is out?

setting the clutch is awkward, its meant to be a certain distance that the pedal moves but i can't remember the length its meant to be, its in the haynes though. In practice I've never done this and have just done it by feel so pretty hard to describe. But basically if you unwind the adjuster right back off, hold the arm it pulls all the way forward and then do the adjuster up until it touches it and just moves a tiny bit so there is no slack on the cable but no more. If you tighten it too much the thrust bearing will engage resulting in excessive wear, go far to far and the clutch will slip. You want it so the gears work and then stop essentially.

So the hill thing could be that yes. But yes, do recheck the timing is spot on, they run pretty well when they are 1 or 2 teeth out but have no power

It's annoying because everyone references Haynes but their was never a book for the later MPI one that I've found online anyway.

What should the timing be set to exactly, can I use a timing light through the flywheel hole, I couldn't find the indicator marks on the crank pulley? I just used the 0 mark on the flywheel :( its weird because the first test drive I did with no exhaust the car felt like it flew much quicker than now

Does anyone have a good quality picture of the timing marks on the bottom pulley? I've ran out of break cleaner so it's a tad gunky around the pulley but I can't see anything at all... Theirs a physical mark on the pulley but I can't match that up to anything on the block? The teeth on the flywheel plate aren't much use as a few mm's on that flywheel plate equates to like 3 teeth on the pulley haha!!

Had a thought too because I never really gave it full beans whilst I had the exhaust off because it was so loud haha, would probably be as gutless as it is now if I took it on the bypass!

Cheers chaps.

On the same note, will a timing light work on these engines? Will it aid me in the discovery of my lack of power

Back