End of BBQ season, painting Aluminium

Currently reading:
End of BBQ season, painting Aluminium

The cast aluminium garden furniture does need tarting up, I had to concede this to Mrs R. I have power washed the old paint off and will wire brush it before painting, but I remember from working on aircraft that you need special primer to make the top coat stick, this seems to be zinc chromate which is poisionous. I can get Hammerite "Garage Door" which self etches onto Al, just wondered if anyone here had used it and is it any good? Or does anyone have a better way to paint Al, the set is table and 6 chairs all in frilly pierced shapes. I have got a spray gun and compressor.

I use clear lacqeur. Keeps it looking nice and shiny. (y)

I used hammerite garage door paint to paint my garage door of all things about 5 years and its all still there. I reckon it would be fine and dandy for a set of garden furniture.

I used hammerite garage door paint to paint my garage door of all things about 5 years and its all still there. I reckon it would be fine and dandy for a set of garden furniture.
:) LOL, I have since found a special metal primer recomended for Garage door paint that you can spray on on the Hammerite web site. They gave Halfords as the stockist and a phone call reveals the local branch stocks both, all I have to do now is spend about 50 man hours getting down to the metal, all for a veggie burger in a bun next year.

Thanks guys, actually that evil pressure washer knocked most of it off, I'm sure that thing is really a Terminator in camoflage. I think the finish was powder coat as even where it was no longer attached to the metal it was still in one piece, and after being blasted off and landing on the lawn could have been used as a mould. I think the comments about priming are spot on, it had just been powder coated onto bare metal from new. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Back