DSC_0029.JPG

Cinquecento Emma's Turbo Progress Thread!

Introduction

Hey, as some of u may know my turbo cinq is in the middle of having an engine rebuild by my dad. This is the progress so far, and will add to this thread as things happen.

So far......
Port and poilsh and a bit of boring out nearly finished
arc said:
did you find out how far it could be taken to, was it 1180 in the end - or was that the limit?
I believe its being taken out to about 1130ishcc as you need to be careful as to how much is taken out as it raises the compression, especially if the head is skimmed, which in a hi-boost in need of lower compression is not good detonation wise.

Emma has forgotten to add its getting new pistons from Mahle and will hopefully be machined to include a dish which the normal VAD hi-boosts didn't have as what they did was machine the dish off so the piston is flat to lower compression. There is a piston cut in half by her Dad which shows the crown thickness of the piston, its pretty thick, about 6mm or so which I'm sure she could post up.

The fly wheel is being lightened and balanced, (as piced above) but on the 2 1108cc engines that we looked at there is a considerable difference in the flywheels, with one looking like it has a lot more meat on it than the other :confused: all the rods have been weighed and are negligible in difference, really not enough to merit full balancing as the are very close, within a gram of each other or less.

Theres a few other thing already arranged but leave that to Emma to say.

J333EVO said:
I believe its being taken out to about 1130ishcc as you need to be careful as to how much is taken out as it raises the compression, especially if the head is skimmed, which in a hi-boost in need of lower compression is not good detonation wise.

Emma has forgotten to add its getting new pistons from Mahle and will hopefully be machined to include a dish which the normal VAD hi-boosts didn't have as what they did was machine the dish off so the piston is flat to lower compression. There is a piston cut in half by her Dad which shows the crown thickness of the piston, its pretty thick, about 6mm or so which I'm sure she could post up.

The fly wheel is being lightened and balanced, (as piced above) but on the 2 1108cc engines that we looked at there is a considerable difference in the flywheels, with one looking like it has a lot more meat on it than the other :confused: all the rods have been weighed and are negligible in difference, really not enough to merit full balancing as the are very close, within a gram of each other or less.

Theres a few other thing already arranged but leave that to Emma to say.

LOL u could have waited till i had finished putting pics up ;)
I will take a pic of the cut in half piston, when i find it,lol

So thats progress so far, on the way is a punto 75 cam which should arrive any day now! I will be ordering a uprated clutch in next few days, then things should come along nicely! wooo!

foxyemx said:
Mine has been taken to 1130, but the absolute max would be 1172, but that would be for a race car not a road car.

ahh reet (y)

J333EVO said:

I had a bit of a blonde moment then and couldnt see why it'd raise the CR, i see now though!

Em, might sound stupid, but if theyre custom pistons, why not get them made to a custom design anyway as part of that package?

arseofbox said:
Em, might sound stupid, but if theyre custom pistons, why not get them made to a custom design anyway as part of that package?

they are not custom, Mahle list pistons for the 1108cc engine in various sizes, they were a great price, but you need to know people in the correct places to get them at the price Emma paid, and then have a Dad who can get them machined to his own specification.

And just to add the Mahle piston looks to be a better made piston than the Fiat one with it being lighter, stronger and thicker in construction and therefore have more meat left on it after machining.

Last edited:
foxyemx said:
DSC_0048.JPG

Also a lightened flywheel, about 1.5 kilos taken off.

This flywheel worries me a bit especially in a turbo. At the centre nothing should be taken off.

Two years with similarly machined flywheels in the 750 class on 2 FIRE engines the flywheels went. One guy was fortunate the other lost the entire gearbox when it shattered. And these weren't turbo charged engines with much less torque. The flywheels were done by engine builders. I wasn't Guy Croft and neither me as it was claimed then.

Oldschool said:
This flywheel worries me a bit especially in a turbo. At the centre nothing should be taken off.

Two years with similarly machined flywheels in the 750 class on 2 FIRE engines the flywheels went. One guy was fortunate the other lost the entire gearbox when it shattered. And these weren't turbo charged engines with much less torque. The flywheels were done by engine builders. I wasn't Guy Croft and neither me as it was claimed then.
is it going to crack all like this, then fall to bits?

Attachments

• fly wheel.JPG
    fly wheel.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
oh yes i forgot the other picture of the flywheel, some has been taken from the outside too, to be fair i dont know how much was taken off where, but i can find out, i'm sure the machinist that did it for us did a safe job.

DSC_0049.JPG

I can see where Oldschool is coming from here - I've no idea about machining flywheels but I can see the benefits of having a slightly larger mass at the centre :chin:

Back