Technical Eml, eggy smell and lambda slow to respond

Currently reading:
Technical Eml, eggy smell and lambda slow to respond

Ermie571

Hi all,

3.0 180 bhp 2015 l4h2

First technical post. Will be a bit long winded, but I will put everything in in case its relevant!

problems started when the van failed to start. Was cranking but not firing. List of things not available on the dash. At one point it did start but sounded like a bag of spanners and would not rev, so I killed it immediately!

Recovery came out, and hooked van up to the jump leads. After a couple of minutes, the van started but died immediately. Waited a short while, van started and idled. Recovery declared it "cured", said something about the electronics needing a stable voltage to start, and if the battery was on its way, this could be the issue. But to be fair, the guy didn't really know why it wouldn't start. Anyway, we took it to the storage place, and agreed a new battery was imminent. (van 6 years old, low mileage so assumed it was the original one - original battery currently in the shed running a car stereo, so not completely junked!)

So...next day, collected van, (started fine) procured a battery, and looked up how to change battery in the manual. Made sure the driver's door was closed and keys were in the ignition, but in the stop position as per instructions.

Battery change went ok, van started fine. Then....the EML came on. Code reader says P0139 lambda slow response. Also noticed an eggy smeill. Was concerned it was batteries - but absolutely NO SMELL lingering from either my habitation batteries or the new stater. Van has always started on the key since the new battery in. Used the code reader to cancel the fault, restarted van, and no EML.

Next start, again, no EML. Drove about 10 miles, stopped. On restarting the engine (10 or so minutes later) the EML has returned.

I have been away in it this weekend just gone, and she has driven faultlessly for 350 miles. However, the eggy smell has occurred for about 10 minutes from about a couple of minutes from start up until the engine is properly warm. As other threads have noted black smoke...I can state that there is no black smoke on start up.

I have done some reading - the eggy smell could be cat (does my van have a cat??), the dfp faulty, running lean due to faulty lambda, or batteries. Ruled out batteries as above. Several posts over the motorhome forums about the same issue - but no real resolutions. I am concerned as I have the orange EML light too. It occurs to me that I should read it again in cast there is something else going on, which I shall do tomorrow.

Would like to know particulary about that error code, as I cannot find much about that at all in relation to the Ducato

Any help pointers tips before I give it to my friendly mechanic very welcome!

Thanks in advance

Emma

Last edited:
Hi Ermie571

All the initial symptoms you describe are consistent with a weak battery.

The "eggy" smell is Hydrogen Sulphide - you don't need a very high concentration to notice it. It comes from the small amount of Sulphur present in the fuel, though UK fuel is supposed to be low-sulphur these days.

It's not lean running, all Diesels are supposed to run lean except at full power. In a Diesel, the Lambda sensor operates over a wide range of Fuel/Air ratios and is used to ensure that the catalyst and DPF operate correctly. Until they heat up, they don't really fully function so odd smells in the first 10 minutes aren't really a guide.

It's possible that one or two bad starts have temporarily contaminated the fine aperture in the sensor. I'd be inclined to keep a watching brief for the time being to see if it eventually clears itself. If the trouble persists you might need a new sensor. Try avoiding short journeys, give the engine some work to do. Topping up with premium grade Diesel may also help.

Thankyou very much - very reassuring :)

I will follow your recommendations, and see how she goes.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Emma x

Quick update...quarter tank of premium deisel, and a couple of shortish runs. Then a top up of morisons deisel and a run of 100 ish miles and the eml has gone off!!
Had a brief return of the eggy smell today. But not as overpowering as before. Thanks again fir your help.

Emma

Back