Technical Elektroblock EBL 263-5

Currently reading:
Technical Elektroblock EBL 263-5

mfuller

Anyone know much about the inner workings of this unit? I need confirmation on something. Fitted to a 2005 Ducato Adria

I am planning to fit a Renogy Battery Monitor for the leisure battery. This is straight forward enough, but after reading the EBL 263-5 manual I have a slight concern. The EBL 263-5 unit is connected to both the leisure and starter batteries to facilitate charging. I *think* this is only when the engine is running.

So, the question is. Can anyone confirm that when using the 12v system with the engine off, the habitation devices only use the Leisure battery for power?

I know that the EBL 263-5 will charge both and it does this by linking the batteries in parallel. But it then says when voltage on D+ is lost (e.g the alternator stop's producing power because the engine has been turned off) the batteries are unlinked.

So, if the above is correct, then by battery monitor will only see voltage from the leisure battery and will therefor be accurate.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I've just realised that this forum is a vehicle forum, not necessarily a camper forum so forgive what could be a totally off-topic post. It's just likely anyone with a Ducato camper will have this same control unit :)

I've just realised that this forum is a vehicle forum, not necessarily a camper forum so forgive what could be a totally off-topic post. It's just likely anyone with a Ducato camper will have this same control unit :)

yep would be better of on a MH forum eg motorhomefun.co.uk

also specify van and convertor to get a sensible answer straight away, otherwise someone will ask. specifying the ebl number is a good start.
By the way mine is a rapido with CBE kit so no clue to your issues.

I think your assumption re. D+ is correct, there will be some mechanism in the EB to prevent starter battery discharge. Even if it's only an alarm or 12v dropout! Have a word with either Apuljack engineering, or A&A at Colwyn Bay, they know their stuff.

As mentioned by the OP, I appreciate that is not a strictly Fiat matter, but as it may be of interest to several members of this Ducato forum, I consider that it is not unreasonable to add the following.

I have found an English online diagram for Schaudt EBL263-5 on the Italian camperomline forum. I have made a pdf copy, but as the online version is jpg, it may be better to manipulate the "original" with a photo viewer.

I can confirm that there is nothing mysterious about the EBL263-5. It has the standard split charge relay operated by a D+ (engine running) connection. Schaudt choose to name this relay "battery cut-off relay", possibly a literal translation from the original German. There will be no connection between the batteries, unless the engine is running.

To elaborate the starter battery is connected at the lower RHS of the diagram at A70, and only connects to "charging relay starter battery", "battery cut off relay", and "refridgerator relay", and directly associated components.

The link to the jpg file is given below, and I have attached my pdf version.

https://i.imgur.com/lGvwSzc.jpg

Attachments

• Schaudt EBL 263.pdf
    370.7 KB · Views: 83
..just to augment your post, Such documentation as exists for Schaudt equipment is generally downloadable from the support section of Schaudt's own website.

https://www.schaudt.gmbh/de/service-support/downloads.php

You do have to request the download via an easy-to-use automated process, and you will be emailed a one-time link to allow you to download.

You can request up to 5 items in the same request, but there is nothing preventing repeat requests.

The documentation for the EBL263-5 is available in various languages (including English). Be aware, though, that the details for a limited number of more esoteric items is only available in German.

Back