Technical Electronic Ignition

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Ignition

Can anyone with the electronic ign unit attached to the side of the distributor please let me know what No's are stamped on the distributor next to the module and the year of manufacture if it's original.

The No on the Sisley is SP101C, I tried to replace it with a newer unit with the numbers SP101A. Two things happened, firstly the distributor would not adjust to the 15 deg BTDC as the adjusting holes would not let it rotate far enough, Secondly when I replaced just the module to see what effect it had the engine died as soon as it started to get warm. I let the engine cool and again it started no problem but as soon as it got warm again the engine spluttered to a halt. I then put on the original module and it was no problem at all?

The reason for changing it is there is a very slight hesitation when driving at a constant speed between 20 to 40 mph, when accelerating or at motorway speed or when the engine is at idle there is no problem what so ever. It is as said hardly noticeable but as always I know it's there so want it as perfect as I can make it.

Anyway trying to find out what units were fitted to what year and what differences there are in the unit's?

Hello Alan.
Do not have a 4x4 so cannot draw direct comparison but I have two electronic type distributors.

This one came from an Uno 45, F reg. SE101A-7B and no visible markings on the electronic unit.

This one from an Uno 45, E reg. SE101A-3B and on the underside of the electronic unit, 263 D

These were both the original fitment to the vehicles though I am unable to see any dates of manufacture.

The part number would indicate that the electronic unit is the same one across all the Marelli distributors. Both the setups mentioned above are now fitted on Panda's and no problems ( such as you describe ) were experienced.
Hope this helps.
Rgds.

On the very top of the distributor Gaz next to the holding nut.

Pete you say these are fitted on your panda's with no problems :confused: the panda fire engines are all 2 deg BTDC without vacum or 15 deg BTDC with vacum, which is exactly the same setting, but the SE101A-3b will not set anywhere close to this maybe it's just faulty?

The other problem I was facing was the modules and again I bought brand new from ebay. But the fault of the car dying after becomming warm is consistant when I change them over, when I use the original I have no problems at all other than this slight hesitation :confused: :confused:

Nice to see the old pandas going as a suggestion Fire engine will run with jumped cam belts! with out doing damage also the bob wieghts in the distributer can sieze or the spring breaks, check the simple things first before spending out on more ignition modules or dissy, hope this helps

Gaz it will be SE101C, what year is your Sisley? I forgot :eek:

On the same note I went back out and changed a mixture of Ign units & Module's. The first Ign unit a SE101A (which is brand new) with a known working module wouldn't adjust beyond 10 deg BTDC with vacum so no use as the setting is as previously mentioned 15 deg BTDC. The second SE101A unit with the same module was knackered the car just wouldn't start.

The SE101C unit I removed I knew was working before I started so know that's ok, I then tried the Second SE101C unit with another module which started to break down within about 2 min. I threw that module and fitted a new one which now appears to be working perfectly after a quick run.

I also cleaned all of the earth points on the hedgehog and the battery -ve lead on the body and engine block as the voltmeter was occasionally spiking showing an earth problem so that may have also been a factor that is now resolved.

Hello Alan.
Can confirm that the SE101A-3B that I have on one of the Panda's, fitted and works without problem. I have never had any reason to question it.
Rgds.

Thanks Gaz.

Pete they must have been changed from 88-89 from the A to C, wonder what happened to B :rolleyes:

Strange that the units looked new but both were useless, the two C units are dirty looking and from the current 89 and previous 91 Sisley but work well. I wonder if the change was due to the larger camshaft on the 4x4's?

I have an '89 1000s which has non-electronic contacts. I have just purchased an electronic dizzy from ebay. On the mechanical points dis there is only one LT wire that goes from Dizzy to coil. On electronic there are two a Red and a Green. Am I right in assuming that the red is a power supply and the green is to the coil. And when hooking these up it will all work OK. By the way the serial no. is SE101A 7L.

If it helps mine's SE101A -> 6J (on a 1990) - looks like 6J but it's too bloody cold out there to hang around!
Though I've no experience of the distributor, is it not possible to adapt (by rotating) the pick-up heads on the inside?
(thanks for those locks again btw (y))

I should hit the Uno section for that, if it's the breakerless system I think you mean, pretty much all the carb'd fire Unos came with that and very few of the Pandas.

I understand the Sisley's had an electronic set-up. I have bought the Dizzy off ebay and want it to work on the 1000s. So I have carb engine with breaker style ignition coil

I should hit the Uno section for that, if it's the breakerless system I think you mean, pretty much all the carb'd fire Unos came with that and very few of the Pandas.

Carb'ed Uno FIREs with the electronic dizzy are now getting hard to find. Only the mk1 Uno 45 (999cc FIRE, not 903ohv) and early mk2 45 and 60 models had the same set up as a Panda. Later mk2 Unos become injected though I think they still used the same dizzy set up. Even these are now getting hard to find though.

Carb'ed Uno FIREs with the electronic dizzy are now getting hard to find. Only the mk1 Uno 45 (999cc FIRE, not 903ohv) and early mk2 45 and 60 models had the same set up as a Panda. Later mk2 Unos become injected though I think they still used the same dizzy set up. Even these are now getting hard to find though.
probably still more around than Pandas though, most of the pre injection Pandas came with points.

probably still more around than Pandas though, most of the pre injection Pandas came with points.

A good indication of the rarity of Unos, especially mk1's, is Ebay. Quite a few times already this year there have been none listed for sale at all. All mk1's are now very rare, and any three door lower spec model with a good shell is likely to go for good money as they are wanted by turbo owners looking to re-shell a rusted UT.

Probably a good idea to look at the later i.e. model mk2 Unos as I think these still came with the electronic distributor and ignition. Then again, not many of these around either! You guys get way more cars for sale than us Uno owners do now :(

A good indication of the rarity of Unos, especially mk1's, is Ebay. Quite a few times already this year there have been none listed for sale at all. All mk1's are now very rare, and any three door lower spec model with a good shell is likely to go for good money as they are wanted by turbo owners looking to re-shell a rusted UT.

Then again, not many of these around either! You guys get way more cars for sale than us Uno owners do now :(

190,000 Uno's imported - 10th most scrapped car in 2006 !
Don't know what the figures are for Panda's

Mike

Back