Technical Electronic Faults on 500X

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Faults on 500X

robotdancer

Just a quick update on my car, it went in to the dealer because I got the odd minor warning appear and dissapear on the dash (nothing wrong with the car, but I was passing the dealer so called in).

They diagnosed an ECU fault and are fitting a new unit.

When they came to check the ECU it turns out that the routing of the loom has allowed water to run via the wiring into the housing and damaged the ECU causing intermittent problems.

Solution is new unit and a routing mod. Nothing major. I know a few people have had some odd and random electronic issues. So this might just be worth checking, especially on earlier 2015 and 2016 cars.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on my car, it went in to the dealer because I got the odd minor warning appear and dissapear on the dash (nothing wrong with the car, but I was passing the dealer so called in).

They diagnosed an ECU fault and are fitting a new unit.

When they came to check the ECU it turns out that the routing of the loom has allowed water to run via the wiring into the housing and damaged the ECU causing intermittent problems.

Solution is new unit and a routing mod. Nothing major. I know a few people have had some odd and random electronic issues. So this might just be worth checking, especially on earlier 2015 and 2016 cars.

I had the most bizarre, not to say worrying, experience with dashboard warnings, yet nothing found

A dashboard like Blackpool Illuminations

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=450535

I had a French car previously that suffered similar problems with water in the loom that eventually ended with a Recall.

The odd thing is that the ECU doesn't record the faults, phantom or not

I had the most bizarre, not to say worrying, experience with dashboard warnings, yet nothing found

A dashboard like Blackpool Illuminations

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=450535

I had a French car previously that suffered similar problems with water in the loom that eventually ended with a Recall.

The odd thing is that the ECU doesn't record the faults, phantom or not
Maybe worth getting them to double check the ECU for water ingress. Appreciate yours happened in the heat, but mine wasn't faulty when it was raining, I just got random faults pop up.

Maybe worth getting them to double check the ECU for water ingress. Appreciate yours happened in the heat, but mine wasn't faulty when it was raining, I just got random faults pop up.

I've got another year on the warranty and 6 months till next service. I am 'monitoring' for any repeats and I'll bring it up with them if and when they happen. The dealer has been excellent up to now, don't want to ruffle their feathers unnecessarily..

Thanks chaps. Mine's a 1.4 Multiair, so hopefully wouldn't be impacted by any batch problem with a 1.6 diesel ECU.

Back