Technical Electronic Car Alarm

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Car Alarm

asjjs

Hi

All new to this, bought my B at the weekend, fantastic best car i've bought in years.:) R reg Blue 80k, small tear in rear screen but i've read up on all my options for that.

Can anyone out there help me with thealarm - emergency key is off at the mo, when i turn it on and close all doors etc i cannot reset with fob, put new battery in and followed instructions in hand book to try and re programme - no change.

Any ideas? :bang:

Cheers

ASJJS

My alarm failed and the fob didn't work at all.

Had it fixed by the local Fiat garage - the information on the receipt states:-

"Replace alarm unit and receiver after carrying out diagnosis check with examiner. (alarm not cross talking with remote)

Not sure how much that helps, but could be one or both of the alarm and receiver not working - apparently they were "surprised" that both of them had failed on mine.

My red B had the factory fitted alarm and that didnt work when I bought it. I tried resetting the codes,bought new "blippers" all to no avail. In the end I bought a new central locking relay and used that instead:(

ah yes, the factory fitted alarm...

the silver barca has one.... and it eats the battery. If you dont drive it for a week then the battery is gone and you have to jumpstart it :(

and the keyfob works... sometimes... when it feels like it

and yes, the battery has been replace allready, it is not the battery itself which is bad. Nopes, its the alarm/immobiliser which seems to be crosswired somewhere. And there seems to be no way to rip out the whole piece of junk without permanently disabling the motor management system.
A few FIAT dealers and techies have been scratching their heads over it.

I am seriously contemplating to get this sorted out by just putting a battery key in.
This would mean the hassle of arriving somewhere, unlocking the bonnet, locking the doors, opening the bonnet, turn the battery key, closing the bonnet. And on return, opening the door with the key, leaning into the car, unlocking the bonnet, opening the bonnet, turning the battery key, slamming the bonnet, getting into the car, turning the key on, and back off, disabling the alarm/immob with the keyfob, turning the key... waiting for the code light to go out, then starting and drive off.

I know, its a bit elaborate.... but dragging a jumpstart kit around all of the time is a pain also, not to mention that batterylife is seriously shortened by deep draining and then jumpstarting :( :cry:

Alternatively, i *could* bolt on a Hawker battery pack as "assistance" : 1000 AMPS backup :slayer:

Do you really need to worry about having it nicked in Lux??

nope, not in Lux... but as i said, it seems to be impossible to get rid of the alarm without immobilising the car :( , so i seem stuck with it.

but besides that... i sometimes leave Lux ya know... i 'll even go as far as upnorth in the UK, and overthere i need an alarm/immob :mad: .

That said, i'm not going as north as Norfolk, but there i dont have to worry either, as they haven't seen a car overthere for a while :D . But in the Mancunian area, and in Tees valley i could use a shotgun also :)

Don't know if my fitting is standard but I've got an extra Meta immobiliser on the side of the steering column. A widgit on the keyring which you stick into a slot before the car will start. This seems to be completely separate from the normal code key / code light on the dash.

Only driven one other B, '95 model with an antique scorpion alarm and no key fob 'blipper'.

The Doc had an XR3i, was that whilst living in Essex?

On the alarm front, I've not got one and never had any problems, either in Luxembourg, Clapham or Glasgow. Never tried Manchester or the pool though....

Sorry, not much help and not really on topic, just couldn't believe the XR3 bit!

Ahh, my misspent youth racing XR3i's and XR 4x4's down forgotten airfield runways in Lincolnshire!!!

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great xmas.

I've another alarm question. I don't have any problems with mine working - in fact it works too well. The problem is for example, if I am filling up with petrol and my boyfriend is in the car, the alarm resets itself if the doors are all shut and the key is not in the ignition, so then if he moves it goes off! Similar thing if i am on my own, I get out of the car, fill up, go to open the door to get my purse out and the alarm goes off because in that time it has rearmed.

Also, if I want to leave the dog in the car for 2 seconds while i nip into a shop it rearms and she will set the alarm off.

The only way i can see to turn off the alarm is the control unit in the engine. Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the car or just close the doors without turning the alarm on but withouit having to turn it off at the control unit?

Thanks
Shel

The problem is for example, if I am filling up with petrol and my boyfriend is in the car, the alarm resets itself if the doors are all shut and the key is not in the ignition, so then if he moves it goes off! Similar thing if i am on my own, I get out of the car, fill up, go to open the door to get my purse out and the alarm goes off because in that time it has rearmed.

The only way i can see to turn off the alarm is the control unit in the engine. Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the car or just close the doors without turning the alarm on but withouit having to turn it off at the control unit?

If its a factory fitted alarm then it's set up wrong, or just broken.

It needs to be reset so it doesn't arm itself.

hmm, looks like misuse of the word receipt... mine was fixed under warranty.

Previous warranty 'receipts' have listed the price but unfortunately this one doesn't. :bang:

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great xmas.

I've another alarm question. I don't have any problems with mine working - in fact it works too well. The problem is for example, if I am filling up with petrol and my boyfriend is in the car, the alarm resets itself if the doors are all shut and the key is not in the ignition, so then if he moves it goes off! Similar thing if i am on my own, I get out of the car, fill up, go to open the door to get my purse out and the alarm goes off because in that time it has rearmed.

Also, if I want to leave the dog in the car for 2 seconds while i nip into a shop it rearms and she will set the alarm off.

Thanks
Shel

Does not sound like a FIAT alarm to me, sounds more like a Clifford or something similar. Take a look at the alarm make/type and let us know, mine is fitted with a Clifford that has dozens of settings on it some of which auto-arm once the ignition is 'off' which is effectively the problem you seem to be having.........check the make/type and get back to us, the chances are you need to have the settings changed.

Hi LRB

As far as I can tell it is the original alarm. I downloaded the specs from barchetta mondo and the control unit in the engine is identical and it just turns on with the original fob - how would I tell if it was something different? I don't think it is faulty, it seems that the logic is someone has got into the car who doesn't have the correct key.

I'll have another look through those specs and see if there is more information about settings in there that i've missed.

Thanks
Shel

Hi Shel,

Hmmmm, mine does not have the FIAT alarm so I am not sure what the original looks like, an after-market one usually has the manufacturers name on the alarm unit, keyfob or siren..........

It does sound to me like someone has opted to have the alarm programmed in a way that auto arms, once you can confirm the make it will be easier to figure out if its a fault or setting!

Hi LRB
Just to update you on this, the car is in the garage having the dodgy wiring sorted out (they say it was a relay), and while I was there I asked about the alarm. They said that it is a setting and it is probably just a case of working out a sequence of pressing the control fob more than once to stop it rearming. I'm picking it up tomorrow so will have to play around and see if that makes any difference!

I also had a an onboard water feature earlier this week - is that why they call it the little boat?? You need to bail it out everytime it rains?! :rolleyes:
I've seen the threads on this so I'm taking it for granted that it's something I'll have to get used to!

Shel

Hi LRB
Just to update you on this, the car is in the garage having the dodgy wiring sorted out (they say it was a relay), and while I was there I asked about the alarm. They said that it is a setting and it is probably just a case of working out a sequence of pressing the control fob more than once to stop it rearming. I'm picking it up tomorrow so will have to play around and see if that makes any difference!

I also had a an onboard water feature earlier this week - is that why they call it the little boat?? You need to bail it out everytime it rains?! :rolleyes:
I've seen the threads on this so I'm taking it for granted that it's something I'll have to get used to!

Shel

Let us know how you get on with the alarm - I bought a CAT1 Toad alarm for my b but then realised that the one fitted is a top grade clifford so I have left it alone...........it will get fitted to another car one day......

As for the water a few tips, make sure that all of the window rubbers are snug against the window when you close the car, the slightest gap and water will get in. Also avoid parking on a slope with the nose pointing down the hill otherwise water will run in under the back of the hood, alternative is to get a 'lid' cover, Tchibo have one for a tenner here http://www.tchibo.co.uk/is-bin/INTE...ductID=MIIKZAOiBygAAAEUO2mp7_KU&BackTo=Search

Back