Technical Electric window fail - any ideas?

Currently reading:
Technical Electric window fail - any ideas?

Matthague

Hi.
My electric window on passenger side will not go up.. just down.

The drivers side one did go up but I think it didn’t sound like it should.
Is there a way I can get it up until I can get it to a electrical car guy?
Thanks in advance.... hope it doesn’t rain

One of my Pandas did this and it was the regulator. Sadly the other side followed after a few weeks. I had taken a waranty so it was covered. Parts are not too expensive though. It started with the drivers side motor sounding a bit crunchy. It could be electrical. If you have a multi meter you could check that power is arriving down two wires at the plug on the regulator if it is sadly it likely the motor. Could also be the lift mechnism. If you remove the door card you will be able to see if there is something broken. Check there are no bits in the bottom of the door. Its usually a good indicator of problems!

Do let us know what you find :)

Do let us know what you find :)
My daughters Grande Punto did that on N/S door, it was a while ago, if I recall it was a module that was causing her issue as it didn't matter if done from drivers door or passengers door, as she was selling it and didn't want to spend any money , I reversed the feed to the motor inside the door panel as that is what the module did i.e. + became - and vice versa to give up or down, so having got the window up I pulled the wiring plug out.
If you put a voltmeter on the the wires you will see what I mean.
So in her case it wasn't the door hinge wiring although that is more common.

Hmm... the switch is lit but its not going up from either.
Dont have any fancy meters I'm afraid, or technical knowledge, just didn't know if there was a manual way of closing it before asking an electrician

Dont have any fancy meters I'm afraid, or technical knowledge, just didn't know if there was a manual way of closing it before asking an electrician
That is what I just said . If you want to do it manually you would again have to take the door card off , then disconnect the regulator from the window glass , push the glass up and jam it in position with a bit of wood or similar.
So other than that you are back to taping a bin bag over it to stop the rain;)

If you have tried bugsymikes suggestion I think it will need a new motor to get it closed,

If you have tried bugsymikes suggestion I think it will need a new motor to get it closed,
On my daughters Grande Punto the motor was working fine, it was the module that reverse's the feed to give change of direction, as when I supplied a reverse feed to the wires the motor happily put the window up. Basically the motor doesn't use an earth, there are two wires if you connect it one way it goes clockwise, put the wires the other way around and it goes anticlockwise.

That is what I just said . If you want to do it manually you would again have to take the door card off , then disconnect the regulator from the window glass , push the glass up and jam it in position with a bit of wood or similar.
So other than that you are back to taping a bin bag over it to stop the rain;)
Thanks,
I think people assume I’ve a clue what everyone Is on about 😀.
I wouldn’t have a clue how to take door panels off or what wiring does or should look like.
I only just worked out that there was a little tab on the door unit where the switch was that opened it up so once I could see there wasn’t a loose wire I could screw back in I was lost.😕

Opening the door
Bending down to see the big plug and wiring at the hinge area
Pushing back the rubber boot to look at the wiring as it goes into the door

Not too technical :)

And tool free :cool:

Sorry my fault, a case of too much information.
All you can easily do is tape a bin bag over the open window to keep the rain out until you get to your garage.
You may be able to mention what we have said to your mechanic, but most likely and speaking as someone retired after over 50 years in the motor trade, your best course of action is to tell them what you know about how it happened and then let them find the best solution. The reason being few skilled people like to be told what to do, as they consider themselves to be the experts and tend to "switch off" to outside advice.
I believe the majority of people on the Forum are trying to gain knowledge to undertake repairing their vehicles themselves:)

No problem.
The guy lifted the window and disconnected the switches so it's up and not moving.

My issue now is that as has been mentioned, he hasn't a 100% idea what it is without investigating.
Theres talk it may be a simple wire (that'd need to be found between both doors or inbetween plus systematic dismantling along the way), or that it could be part of a set of wires (loom?) which would be £200 +. Theres then labour on top which on a 58 plate car may end up being the death of it.

When you have 30 minutes..

Pull back the rubber gaiter..and check the door hinge area wiring

Its a common failure, the wires themselves get fatigued- 500's have it with the rear hatch

Wires dont like being bent then straightened.. repeatedly

( think how many times that drivers door has been opened @1000 times a year maybe..)

I will post pics of mine when Im back with the car :)

Back