Technical Egr removing

Currently reading:
Technical Egr removing

phillip1985

Hi everyone I need to remove my egr valve on my 1.9 meet 150 to clean it. I sumtimes get a warning light up and it says P0401 and it struggles to accelerate.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

So im hoping cleaning it will help. So I'm asking is would cleaning help and how to remove egr valve. Please help.

Phil

1. The search function is pretty good here and throws up these results. Click click.

2. Inside those results is a link to a good pictorial EGR dismantle and cleanup guide on an Alfa. It's free to download.

3. Another great guide from this very forum.

4. More results and pics from the Vectra forums. Same EGR I believe.

Will cleaning it up help? Well, there's only one way to find out. So, don't forget the pics when you do it. ;) Replacing it for a new one will probably cost you less than a garages' labour charge for cleaning the old one I reckon.

5. Get ready to buy a new one, in case you cock it all up.

I plan on doing mine sometime next year. So, I've no personal experience of doing this job. The usual disclaimers apply. Take your time and let us know how you get on with it please.

I might also blank mine off once I've cleaned or replaced it. But that's another story. To be continued... Good luck. (y)

If you're happy with all the searching around I did for you on this post, feel free to click the 'Thanks' button and.. you're welcome. :)

If only all forums had a how to guides list as good as the one I work on. :D

Last edited:
This is quite an easy job. I would recommend having a go yourself. I had the same problem however the solenoid on the valve was faulty and I ended up having to replace it. Take a look on ebay as you will find that you can buy a vauxhall/saab version for less and its the same (other than the positioning of the electrical plug).

Back