General Ecu

Currently reading:
General Ecu

Disconnect the battery. Leave for a short while and then connect back up. Engine may run rough on start-up, which will indicate it has worked of course! The ECU will then learn it's bad habits back again through normal driving.

1.Put ignition on second possition (dash lights on)
2.Disconnect battery
3.Put ignition key back to "0"
4.Leave disconnected for about 5-10min
5.Connect battery again
6.Start engine WITHOUT touchning accerelate pedal (engine must start FIRST time-if not back to point 2)
7.Leave it running with everything OFF till fan cuts off (till warns up)
8. Stop engine and start again
and go....:)

instructions can be found in a late model haynes manual, but heres their version, its worked on the van numerous times(y)

Loosen the bolt that holds the earth lead to the battery, and leave the bonnet open.

Start the engine, keep it running untill the fan cuts in.

Let the fan go off.

Let the fan come back on again, then quickly turn off the ignition, and dissconnect the earth lead on the battery.

Leave off for approx. 45 seconds!

Re attatch the earth lead, and start the engine let it run for atleast two minutes.

In the manual it says the car may run oddly for a few miles untill it re-learns the optimum settings

Hope this is of some use........................................

lewey's method is correct for a 93/95 car fitted with latter type ecu

jangcy and Panda Van's method is correct for a 92/93 car fitted with a Bosch ecu

I've never had to reset a Bosch one. Can't believe it's so complicated! Surely the ECU forgets things when it has no power for a minute? Curious.

It will forget certain things, but is probably programmed to forget everything when the things listed above are done.

I'm due to do a full re-set on Dad's Selecta when i get around to it. Dosen't seem to run as well as mine did on acceleration etc.

Back