Tuning ECU TUNING BOX UPGRADE for Fiat Panda Twinair Turbo

Currently reading:
Tuning ECU TUNING BOX UPGRADE for Fiat Panda Twinair Turbo

The safety mechanisms can't be disabled by a tuning box, but in theory they might no longer work as good as they were intended. Guys who prefer remapping always emphasize this theoretical disadvantage, as if only remapping can be good. However, not all remappings are good and not all tuning boxes are bad. That's why some highly respected tuning companies, like for example G-TECH, offer both tuning boxes and remappings.

I have driven a mate's TA before and after the fitting of a TMC box and there is no doubt that it makes a significant difference. It took about 5 mins to fit and intercepts the boost and MAP sensors only, needs no separate power or earth feeds and just does what it says. Whether you think the increase in performance (which is very obvious) is worth £400 is down to personal preference, but it's clear there's performance to be had there.

Of course it 'eats' into safety margins, but those precautions are typically there to prevent engines going wrong when owned and driven by idiots who don't run the cars on decent fuel, don't get them properly serviced, have zero mechanical sympathy and/or are unable to drive properly. Manufacturers simply have to cater for the most inept in society. I'd like to think that we're slightly different and can therefore enjoy the benefits available to us, brought about by properly developed devices such as these.

For what it's worth, I think the TMC box IS properly developed, evidenced by the significant approval and obvious customer focus seen by the 500 Abarth folks next door. I think the fella was on this forum for a while too.

I have driven a mate's TA before and after the fitting of a TMC box and there is no doubt that it makes a significant difference. It took about 5 mins to fit and intercepts the boost and MAP sensors only, needs no separate power or earth feeds and just does what it says. Whether you think the increase in performance (which is very obvious) is worth £400 is down to personal preference, but it's clear there's performance to be had there.

Of course it 'eats' into safety margins, but those precautions are typically there to prevent engines going wrong when owned and driven by idiots who don't run the cars on decent fuel, don't get them properly serviced, have zero mechanical sympathy and/or are unable to drive properly. Manufacturers simply have to cater for the most inept in society. I'd like to think that we're slightly different and can therefore enjoy the benefits available to us, brought about by properly developed devices such as these.

For what it's worth, I think the TMC box IS properly developed, evidenced by the significant approval and obvious customer focus seen by the 500 Abarth folks next door. I think the fella was on this forum for a while too.

What is your friend's Twin Air build date? Reason I ask is that I wonder if Fiat changed the ECU settings after tuning boxes were developed. My Panda TA is a 7/13 build. The MM tuning box had a 2011 manufacture date on it, although I updated software with the xxx software.

It might just be a problem with the MM tuning box but clear info is hard to find.

I emailed TMC today and they assure me that their tuning box works on the TA. I'll order one and see, I really hope it does work...

What is your friend's Twin Air build date? Reason I ask is that I wonder if Fiat changed the ECU settings after tuning boxes were developed. My Panda TA is a 7/13 build. The MM tuning box had a 2011 manufacture date on it, although I updated software with the xxx software.

It might just be a problem with the MM tuning box but clear info is hard to find.

March 2014 I think - or at least that's when it was registered, so I suspect an early 2014 manufacture therefore.

Interesting to see how this develops.

I had it done on an Alfa 159 1.9 diesel, and it gave a lot more power and especially torque. This was a common thing amongst Alfa owners, but a few issues arose as a result.

First, whilst the trip computer reported about 10% improved fuel efficiency, myself and others noted that in reality there was no improvement if you calculated it manually, when refilling brim-to-brim.

Next, more enthusiastic drivers reported the gear box and clutches failing early with the 30% extra torque going through them. I didn't have that problem but I was quite light on the foot.

The power increase here seems more modest though, so maybe it won't damage the drive chain so much. I think I'll give it a miss though as the Panda TA is nippy enough for my purposes.

Interesting to see how this develops.

I had it done on an Alfa 159 1.9 diesel, and it gave a lot more power and especially torque. This was a common thing amongst Alfa owners, but a few issues arose as a result.

First, whilst the trip computer reported about 10% improved fuel efficiency, myself and others noted that in reality there was no improvement if you calculated it manually, when refilling brim-to-brim.

Next, more enthusiastic drivers reported the gear box and clutches failing early with the 30% extra torque going through them. I didn't have that problem but I was quite light on the foot.

The power increase here seems more modest though, so maybe it won't damage the drive chain so much. I think I'll give it a miss though as the Panda TA is nippy enough for my purposes.

That's interesting. I'm not a lead-foot but I like the idea that I can have more power on tap when needed.

Also, this whole thing underlines the different needs and wants of Panda owners. For me, I could not afford a 'toy' - that is, a sports car or high performance car - so I have the Panda. It serves a basic need as around-town car when I don't have a work car. Because it is new I don't have to constantly spend money and time fixing it like I did my previous (old) cars. It has saved me so much money, and cost me only a little more than what I sold my 2005 Alfa 166 for. So I like to have a play with it, hence the alloy wheels (and 14in steel rims painted silver) and tuning box. Next up is cruise control. Not lowering it though:)

I emailed TMC today and they assure me that their tuning box works on the TA. I'll order one and see, I really hope it does work...

hows the TMC box mate?
you will be the best resource person for panda since youve tested MM and TMC.

update us mate. thanks

hows the TMC box mate?
you will be the best resource person for panda since youve tested MM and TMC.

update us mate. thanks

It's good so far, but I haven't had a chance to take it for a long drive - really it's just been around-town driving.

I find Eco mode best for day-to-day driving, it's more linear in its power delivery. The 'normal' mode can feel a bit too sudden in its mid-range power delivery, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. You have to carefully squeeze the throttle in the mid range - it really amplifies the TA's strong suit of excellent mid-range response.

Fuel consumption is sitting at 7.5L/100km so far, which is about normal for my stop-start short runs in the city. I need a few good runs before commenting on economy.

So, in other words, you'll have to wait a while longer before I can say anything really useful about the tuning box; I don't drive it much for a while, then find I need it for quite a few long trips. Now's a quiet time for the Panda.

It's good so far, but I haven't had a chance to take it for a long drive - really it's just been around-town driving.

I find Eco mode best for day-to-day driving, it's more linear in its power delivery. The 'normal' mode can feel a bit too sudden in its mid-range power delivery, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. You have to carefully squeeze the throttle in the mid range - it really amplifies the TA's strong suit of excellent mid-range response.

Fuel consumption is sitting at 7.5L/100km so far, which is about normal for my stop-start short runs in the city. I need a few good runs before commenting on economy.

So, in other words, you'll have to wait a while longer before I can say anything really useful about the tuning box; I don't drive it much for a while, then find I need it for quite a few long trips. Now's a quiet time for the Panda.

hey mate,
I am from Australia as well, how does the box go? and where you got it from??? would be good to hear.

Thank you.

hey mate,
I am from Australia as well, how does the box go? and where you got it from??? would be good to hear.

Thank you.

Have a read though this thread - hopefully you will find the detailed info you need. I can highly recommend the TMC box on my admittedly brief experience, and I bought it from TMC in the UK direct.

I cannot recommend the Magneti Marelli ME111T tuning box; it did nothing.

Having said that, Black parts S.r.l. in Italy (who sold me the MM box) are a very good retailer, first sending me a new harness to try and then refunding me in full when I sent the box back.

Back