Technical ecu problem

Currently reading:
Technical ecu problem

i recently changed my ecu as the old one decided to stop working. so i brought a new which matches the old ones numbers and everything the only difference being the new one is M3 version not M2 yet once fitted the car still wont start any ideas?
much thanks

If it's off a Mk2 then you need a blank/new/virgin ECU as they are coded to the key and immobiliser system.

And you coded it up properly?

i.e. let it warm up till the fan cuts in, rev to 5.5k for a few seconds, let it settle, repeat 3 times. Switch off.

it wont let me code it as the car wont start just get that awful turning over noise. thats the problem. the code light inside goes off as you turn the key yet the engine just doesnt want to kick in.

Are you sure it was the ECU in the first place?

What problem did you have?

What part no. ECU have you bought? 71784737 (or something like that? I'm off work at the mo and can't remember every part no. lol)

Last edited:
mmm am starting to wonder. well i dropped the old ecu and it stopped working so i brought a new one with matching numbers and now the car wont start. :( oh the joys of motoring. dont no the number its at a friends garage waiting to be attached to a computer.

Thats just phonic wheel learn

I agree with Chris are you sure it was the ECU? Even a wrong ECU will start the car wether red/yellow EM light)

Yes, which has to be done otherwise the fresh ECU won't function properly and normally locks out.

:yeahthat: flashing away like..............errr....a flashing thing:confused:

Had a few customers drive around for weeks like this before they come into the garage unaware of why it was doing this after fitting ecu's themselves.

Back