ebay returns problem

Currently reading:
ebay returns problem

garlicbread22

Hello
I bought a PC monitor off ebay for £13.70, including postage. it was advertised as being a 13" screen but when it arrived it was 15". I need a screen which is no bigger than 13" (you may have seen my wanted add for one on here) for a project im doing. So I emailed the guy telling him this and he said he would refund me if I return the screen to him, but I looked on the postage label of the box and it cost £9.53! So if i returned it to him I would only be getting like a £4 refund plus all the hassle! The seller is really bad at replying to email to, so I opened a dispute on Paypal, and I have asked him twice now if he would pay for return postage but all he keeps saying is return it to me and ill refund, and not answering the question.

So what do you think I should do? Evidently there is no obligation for the seller to pay for return postage and there is no way I am, would rather just keep the screen! So it looks as if the only thing I can do is leave negative feedback

problem is you cannot force the seller to refund your return postage
the most a PP dispute will refund is the original payment
i personally would sell the screen on as its not worth the postage really

Yeah i know, thats the problem. I was hoping he might just give me a refund without return or pay for the return but he seems unwillnig to do either. looks like ill just leave negative feedback, never had to do that before in 300 ebay transactions

all the value of the item is in the postage so there isnt any point in returning it to him.

Yeah i could try selling it on, plus it might go for a bit more than i paid for it since its a 15" screen rather than 13"

So does anyone want to buy a 15" computer monitor? :D

Well there isnt much to see, it says in the listing its 13". When it arrived, i thought it looked bigger than that and I measured it and it was 15"

dont think neg feedabck is deserved, hes willing to refund at end of day, it cost him £9.53 to post as well so you are both going to come out with same amounts

Yes, but he advertised the wrong item.
But did he?

I want to see the listing and see what details it showed - and at the same time the details of the item received (model number of monitor).

Only then will we know the real story. At this point, I am on the fence.

Sell the monitor on ebay, you'll probabely earn more than the £4 the seller offered you.

Then buy the 13 inch screen you originally wanted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150572307096

Iv already bought another one thanks (y)

I'm guessing you measured it properly across the diagonal? I'm betting the seller measured it's width or something.

Yeah thats what i think must have happened, i definatly measured it ac ross the diagonal

dont think neg feedabck is deserved, hes willing to refund at end of day, it cost him £9.53 to post as well so you are both going to come out with same amounts

Yes, but he advertised the wrong item. No good reason why the buyer should be out of pocket.

No it didnt cost him that to post, I paid for it. It wasnt free posting and packaging, the total cost came to £13.70. So id be paying for postage twice, just because he incorrectly listed an item, plus all the hassle its caused, put my project behind by like 2 weeks now and still trying to sort this out. I dont see why I should be £10 of pocket for the sellers mistake.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
No it didnt cost him that to post, I paid for it. It wasnt free posting and packaging, the total cost came to £13.70. .
But you said you had to look at the postage label to work out the cost of postage, which was £9.53? So what did it say on the listing - what was the breakdown of the £13.70?!

But did he?

I want to see the listing and see what details it showed - and at the same time the details of the item received (model number of monitor).

Only then will we know the real story. At this point, I am on the fence.

I dont get what there is to dispute, its says 13" and it is 15"?

But here is the listing anyway
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320657097540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Quite clearly states "13 in" in the title. the seller isnt even disputing the size of the monitor, thats not my problem.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
But you said you had to look at the postage label to work out the cost of postage, which was £9.53? So what did it say on the listing - what was the breakdown of the £13.70?!

My very first sentance in this thread was "£13.70, including postage".

I dont get what there is to dispute, its says 13" and it is 15"?
Well, until you posted the link up .... :rolleyes: hard to comment when you aren't given the full picture eh.

In any case, you only paid £8 for postage - it cost him £9.53 PLUS packaging costs!

Did you check to ensure Proview actually made 13" monitors before bidding? :p

My very first sentance in this thread was "£13.70, including postage".
And? :confused: that doesn't give the breakdown between COST of the item sold and the POSTAGE cost.

Just flog it on, not worth crying over £13.70 to be fair - and as for giving him negative...

Last edited:
Well, until you posted the link up .... :rolleyes: hard to comment when you aren't given the full picture eh.

In any case, you only paid £8 for postage - it cost him £9.53 PLUS packaging costs!

Did you check to ensure Proview actually made 13" monitors before bidding? :p

And? :confused: that doesn't give the breakdown between COST of the item sold and the POSTAGE cost.

Just flog it on, not worth crying over £13.70 to be fair - and as for giving him negative...

I hardly think a second hand box and with crumpled up newspaper in is much of a packaging cost.

So? the total cost is the only relevant one in my opinion. If you had a £5 item, with £10 postage, youd say that item cost you £15. and if you then had to spend £10 sending it back, youd only be getting a £5 refund. I dont see how the breakdown had any real relevance, which is why i stated the total cost. My point is im going to be £10 out of pocket for someone elses mistake.

Im hardly crying over it, just wondered what peoples opinions are on what I should do. Any maybe be you can afford to throw away £13.70 but I certainly dont want to waste that money.

If incorrectly advertising an item, very poor communications and leaving your buyer out of pocket doesnt account to bad feedback, I dont know what would. As i am left with a useless item to me and a right waste of time

Last edited:
as a seller you sometimes have to take a hit
especially when its your cock up
Fair enough, especially now we can see the full story of the listing - it is listed wrong, then again I can't actually see Proview manufacturing a 13" LCD, only a CRT in that size (but don't quote me :p). If £13.70 was really that important to me, surely some research would have been in order, or at least clarification with the seller about model number.

The seller is willing to refund and isn't breaking any rules. I am not saying the rules are right, mind you :)

Back