Ebay problem! :-(

Currently reading:
Ebay problem! :-(

S

Seb

Ok, i said about this before, i bought some bonnet lifters ff german ebay, i found it really hard to pay for them and then the group buy came along so i went with the english company that do them and letf the german ones, they kept emialing me and i emailed back in english saying i dont understand german, they now have sent a debt collection agency after me asking for double the amount owed, i cant ring the company as they are foreign and the number wont work on the letter :( and i have emailed saying i'll pay but please speak english and they wont, help! :(

Who is the collection agency and how did they contact you ?

And is it just a case of you buying something and not paying, or did you actually receive the goods ?

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX

bought, not paid, not received any item
the collection agency is mediafinanz www.mediafinanz.de the have sent me a few letters, the 1st in german the second in english

Had nothing. Received nothing.

Someone hacked your E-bay account and placed a fake bid. That's what I'd say :)

Firstly, you are not in debt. You broke a contract and could be liable for costs. At worst, all this company have lost is the eBay fees for that particular item. Therefore that is all they can reasonably ask for.

Secondly, I would question the jurisdiction of a German debt collection agency in the UK. They may have business links with one of the big boys here, like Drakes, but the cost of getting money off you will far outweigh whatever it is you owe.

Finally, this could've all been avoided and you don't need me to tell you how & why ;)

Rob

Speak to eBay UK. Speak to Citizens Advice. If you can afford it, speak to a solicitor (better still, get an initial 30 minute consultation as they will usually be free).

But above all, let this be a lesson learned ;)

Rob

I wouldn't take my words as gospel. You need to get clarification and conformation from eBay and some form of legal advice before you can rest too easy !

Rob

this is one of those rare ccasions where i'd say ignore it and it'll go away....

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4 & now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

If buy it now then you have to adhere to the distance selling regulations, they may have a case, but on the other hand they have to follow the regs too, if they havent given you notice of the regs and by email or writing offered a cooling off period then they havent got a chance. Do a search for distance selling regulations.

If auction and you bid on the item then forget it, the distance sellign regulations do not come into it.

Eiter way I think they are bluffing, forget about it. I had a similar experience with a german comapny selling crap cameras, they threatened me with court, even sent a letter, ignored it and havent heard anything.

Assuming this was a buy it now purchase then this is from the dept of fair trading:

Distance Selling Regulations
If you sell goods or services to consumers by:

the internet
digital television
mail order, including catalogue shopping
phone
fax
then you need to know about the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.

The key features of the regulations are:

you must give consumers clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier's details and the consumer's cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information)
you must also provide this information in writing
the consumer has a cooling-off period of seven working days.

Sorry to go on but to further Rob's comments about claiming fees back, they can claim fees back from Ebay as a non paying bidder so in fact the only cost to them is a few minutes filling out a non payment form.

Ignore it mate.