Technical Earth Strap… or Hatch Loom

Currently reading:
Technical Earth Strap… or Hatch Loom

TQ1

Wife came to go out in the car today.

Key in to P2 dashboard flickers all the lights but no life. Some relay clicking perhaps behind the dash.

Battery is “good” as in its original but we have had no issues with lazy starting, shows 12.45v so should have enough umph to power the central locking at least.

First thought boot loom: I repaired the wiper wire before Xmas and taped all the wires individually then overall to protect them while I waited for good weather/spring. Had a look at this but no cutting into the electrical tape or notable damage. Nothing new here all looks as before.

Next check the earth strap(s). Unfortunately I don’t have any jump leads. Removed the battery and the chassis to gearbox lead as this is the most likely culprit, visually it’s OK not great, but this is a later car so it’s all copper. I cut the sheath back a little after this picture to make sure it wasn’t broken underneath but it is better under the plastic.

Rebuilt it all, same result as before, key to P2 gives a lot of flickering and some relay clicking but no life.

See photo: with the 90 degree bend on the gearbox earth I guess it’s a FIAT only job.

With the slave cylinder, just hold it to one side and ensure that it doesn’t push the rod too far out I assume is the standard practice?

Attachments

• 58930E01-2F11-4BCE-A487-4AB7262259C7.jpeg
    58930E01-2F11-4BCE-A487-4AB7262259C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • 1BEAD1C0-4B65-4412-AD7B-8F8BE92194AA.jpeg
    1BEAD1C0-4B65-4412-AD7B-8F8BE92194AA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4127.MOV
    11.4 MB
12,45V is not great, but no Amps (possible) is worse. Try another good battery first.

gr J
It started without issue all winter including in the cold weather before Christmas. If it was on its way out I’d expect to have poor/lazy cranking issues before going from being fine being totally dead without warning…

And even a duff battery would have enough power to allow the central locking to work.

Last driven on Sunday maybe 10 miles for 20-30 minutes. Start stop turned off.

Went back to it after 2-3 hrs.

Key to P2 and I have all lights as normal, radio etc.

Try to start and PUTTTT won’t start, dash stutters as before.

Stuck starter (unlikely), dodgy relay or duff earth?!

Given up personally. At the limits of my capabilities now without spending money.

After thinking about it remembered have breakdown cover through the bank account - First Direct. Turns out it’s RAC, just got a 4.5 hr wait!

At least they can confirm battery and do some other troubleshooting or take it to a garage.

If it’s just the battery I can pick one up from Halfords tomorrow & fit it.

I assume for fitting you can just disconnect the old battery for 30 mins to reset the ECU and fit new battery.

Is there any fancy stop start charging or battery memory to be aware of?

Did you try the battery voltage whilst trying to start the car, volts possibly collapse at that point, indicating that the battery is deeeed

RAC man seems to think a battery cell gone pop.

Doesn’t explain how I got 12.45v he tested at 10v which is obviously dead.

Jumped fine, he tested alternator too and looked for drains, couldn’t see anything obvious.

Turned off and no chance in hell of restarting it diagnosis dead battery just like that.

Click & collect a new one and change it tomorrow, already had it all apart & more so a 15 minute job to change over.

If a cell fails, it's usually a plate has become detached, which can just degrade the cell (and therefore the battery) or it can fall off/short-out the other plates, which makes the cell return zero volts (so you're left with c.10v). It sounds like yours started out as "failing" and has now shorted out the cell.

Ralf S.

Reactions: TQ1
As nobody likes an incomplete thread.

New Halfords battery fitted and test driven all okay.

5 year warranty so shouldn’t need to worry.

I’ve also had a practice run of the earth strap now incase I do need to change that in future!

Thanks all, MOT next month… see if anything comes up hope not as I keep an eye out and fix small problems so they don’t become big ones!

Back