E-Bay dodgy looking auction

Currently reading:
E-Bay dodgy looking auction

poggy

It was broken, honest
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
this is a ringer.def a 53 model.i think this is this ringing gang working outside london.notice there's no ref to history or discription.notice there is something stuck on the windscreen on near side? might be innocent.would you leave that sort of car on the street? does it go with the street? mobile number given.could be anywhere.it needs reporting to the police.let them look into it.

custard boy said:
yup something amiss there for sure. although how would a scam like this work since you would pay on collection surely?

I wondered how it works, but it's not the best scam in the world as both auctions are highlighted when you do a search.

Maybe they steal the deposit money or something.

if your interested in the car i would be wondering why its gone from being no previous owners to two, why it originally said the V5 was present and now its not, why it doesnt have more pictures, and it doesnt say anything about service history. personally i think the car is a ringer, thats why he doesnt have the V5, and doesnt know how many previous owners. if your still interested ask the seller what the chassis and engine numbers are, and what is the cars registration, then you can get it HPI'd, also if you buy the car get a top of the range car inspection form RAC or AA.

edit - i spent so much time writing this out, that sumplug has said the same thing :)

It's way too risky to even bother with, I may report it to E-Bay because I can't see it being anything but a scam.

Maybe I should send "The Negotiator" in to check it out.

sumplug said:
would you leave that sort of car on the street? does it go with the street?.

it doesnt matter what the street looks like, as i have heard of many car buyers not even going into the house to do the deal, but sitting in the car, and then when the car is found to be stolen, the buyer finds out the house the car was parked outside didnt have anything to do with the sale.

christopher watson said:
it doesnt matter what the street looks like, as i have heard of many car buyers not even going into the house to do the deal, but sitting in the car, and then when the car is found to be stolen, the buyer finds out the house the car was parked outside didnt have anything to do with the sale.
exactly why i said it.when buying a car,you are also buying the owner.does he or she go with the car? i mean are they right or dodgey looking.ask to use there landline phone to check out the car.get proof who they are and that it matches the v5 and address you are outside.ringers often come back clean on the hpi because the original owner knows nothing about the ringed car.just to say on ringing,the last count of unpaid entry tickets into london,is over 20000.the police say they are finding more and more cars are ringed.the owners live 100's of miles away,so there is 2 or more of that car.they use reg no of cars on forecourts,numbers out of the autotrader adverts,even car parks.get to know the make,colour and reg,and its easy to ring.of course scrap cars are a known target.please report it to the police as well.the fraud squad will take an interest.

I see it as someone who just wants extra publicity in the search listings, and inexperience in selling. Seems fairly interested in BMW's if you look at his recent purchases.

On the other hand the auctions are seperated by 17 hours. Who's knows, may be worth a report to eBay.

Matt

Inexperience of E-Bay wouldn't account for the difference in reg number and stated year. If you look at the ad it says 2001 and under VRM **53*** or nothing at all.

It also has a factory fit phone aerial on the roof and nothing about it in the ad, which is a major selling point as it is probably also part of the BMW sat nav installation.

Still looks dubious to me.

Notice from his feedback that there are 2 sets of BMW wheels bought, one at £280 and another at £850, and there is feedback to say he has paid.

Nothing on his feedback is as a seller, only buying stuff...

also, the 4th from bottom on the feedback is for the sharkfin aerial...

however....

see this, photo look familiar?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-BMW-330-...oryZ9837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that ones a 2000 model, he seems to have 3 of the same car for sale...

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Andy,

I approach Ebay like this, if the auction looks dodgy then surely someone else is selling a similar item legitimately, must be other 330's out there.

Liam

Back