General DVD player + 8" Subs in the Doors !!

Currently reading:
General DVD player + 8" Subs in the Doors !!

oli_wright

Just a quick post... having just got a very nice 2x Din DVD/FM/CD ect.. player in my Stilo, i wasn't keen on having standard sound.. so rather than put yet another huge sub + Amp in the boot and wasting what little space there already is in there, i decided to put 2x 8" Sub's in the front doors.. and it sounds brilliant !!!!!

(y)

Pictures as requested !!!!!!!!(y)

Attachments

• 11112007065.jpg
    11112007065.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 13112007085.jpg
    13112007085.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 14112007086.jpg
    14112007086.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 42
They're 400w RMS.. doesn't rattle too much really, filled as many holes / gaps in the door as possible and need to keep the door pocket's pretty empty but sounds good !!

no there are still the tweeters above the doors. The speakers that i've replaced were only for Low / Mid Range sound anyway.. so it's not like there's no treble etc anymore.. it's the same sound as before just with more Bass + definition !

i guess it´s a question of how you want to do, i personally did the following:

front and rear speakers changed for kenwood 300w tweeters changed for kenwood as well (part of the pack), mounted 2 500w kenwood on the rear shelf, with an alpine amp, also, a 12" 1500w JBL sub in the boot with alpine amp, and an alpine 4x60 head unit.

tidy job, looks well
how did you mount the subs tho?
im guessing the doors r filled with dynamat or something lik tht then? lol

to be honest i've got a 15" X-Plod sub and 2x 10" Sub's in my Garage (+ amps, wiring kits etc).. but as the Stilo's boot isn't very big i didn't want to fill it full of speakers.. and find i cant fit anythin in !!

Had to make some small brackets (like big spacers) to pull the sub's out a little but they just screwed directly into the holes from the origional speakers.. Have lined the door's with some soundproofing carpet stuff from local motor world ! lol

no there are still the tweeters above the doors. The speakers that i've replaced were only for Low / Mid Range sound anyway.. so it's not like there's no treble etc anymore.. it's the same sound as before just with more Bass + definition !

Can't understand that at all? Where is the treble coming from then?

If you were to put a decent set of 6 1/2 in then I bet there would be a considerable difference in sound. A good set of fronts will provide a fair amount of bass but surprised those subs will provide decent mid-range.

The Treble comes from the Tweeters in the front.. and normal speakers in the back of the car.

The Treble comes from the Tweeters in the front.. and normal speakers in the back of the car.

Really don't want to rain on your parade here but that set-up is not ideal. The mid range really needs to come from the front and the standard tweeters ain't going to offer much in the way of that. To create the sound stage as it were you need those rear speakers bringing to the front and the subs retreating to the rear. It's your setup and I respect that but only trying to help.

I envy you! I fitted aftermarket speakers to the front and rears and they rattle like fcuk! The rears were ok after some sound deadening (still not perfect) but the drivers door is rubbish. How and where did you lay all your sound deadening? Your door looks pretty bare, or did i do it wrong when i covered everything up with soundproofing and didnt do much to behind...

it's all on the inside of the door.. I.E behind the speaker, i just tried to fill every where i could get to really!! to be honest i prob used 65% of the soundproofing carpet in the passenger door as i did that side first, but (touchwood) the drivers door hasn't started rattling yet !!

How did you get in there? I tried removing the window mechanism and the whole metal piece but am scared because it kept gettin stuck, that and with the useless weather, i don't want to pull everything off only for the heavens to open!

to be honest i looked at taking the metal insides off too.. but after about 15 mins of trying i decided it would never go back right so just left it on !! i used anything i could to get it in place.. evan a coat hanger at one point !!!!

I envy you! I fitted aftermarket speakers to the front and rears and they rattle like fcuk! The rears were ok after some sound deadening (still not perfect) but the drivers door is rubbish. How and where did you lay all your sound deadening? Your door looks pretty bare, or did i do it wrong when i covered everything up with soundproofing and didnt do much to behind...

Then the install wasn´t done propperly mate, i have aftermarket all round and had to nothing about sound deadening, so something is wrong.

Really don't want to rain on your parade here but that set-up is not ideal. The mid range really needs to come from the front and the standard tweeters ain't going to offer much in the way of that. To create the sound stage as it were you need those rear speakers bringing to the front and the subs retreating to the rear. It's your setup and I respect that but only trying to help.

I agree with that, i don´t think putting subs where the front speakers go is a good idea.

Back