General Dusk and rain sensors

Currently reading:
General Dusk and rain sensors

Hi guys,

I can't find many details about the rain and dusk sensors available as an option.

I've placed an order for a new 500 1.2L with the following extras..
Upgraded 16" alloys
Beats sound system
Sunroof
Rain and dusk sensor
Apple car play
Larger infotainment screen

Does the rain and dusk sensor automatically turn on the lights? My dealer seems to think it only operates the wipers?

Is the Beats sound system the same as that on the US model? I can't find any photo of demos of the system fitted in UK cars.

If they are an option, I'd avoid. They never work flawlessly on a cheap(ish) car. I have automatic lights on my Twingo and they are fine, but rain sensor wipers are dismal. Either too fast or too slow or erratic wiping... I know, you might say - 'why don't I put it on non-auto'? I'd love to, but the slow wipe is very very fast, not good for drizzle... Good luck!

Hello

It will control the lights + wipers and I'm going against the grain I've always found fiats auto systems work pretty well. As for the beats sound system I'm not sure if it's the same as the American version but it is a six speaker system with amp and sub which is located where the spare wheel should be. So you lose you spare and gain a tube of gunk but you will not loose any boot space. The beats system sound amazing by the way ?

Allen

Reactions: Jor
Hello

It will control the lights + wipers and I'm going against the grain I've always found fiats auto systems work pretty well. As for the beats sound system I'm not sure if it's the same as the American version but it is a six speaker system with amp and sub which is located where the spare wheel should be. So you lose you spare and gain a tube of gunk but you will not loose any boot space. The beats system sound amazing by the way ?

Allen
Thanks for that, Allen! I was wondering about the Beats system I've ordered as well! I did think it went into the spare wheel well, but wasn't sure. I'm glad it's no longer under the driver's seat as with the Interscope system!

Hello

Allen

Thanks Allen. I heard the amp and sub were under the floor in the boot but the only photos I could find were of the sub taking up room on the left hand side of the boot.

I have the auto lights/wipers on the family car so thought it would be worth a gamble at £150.

I've been told that delivery could take upto 12 weeks (ordered 2 weeks ago). It's going to be a long wait

If the rain sensor works well, it can be very useful when the rain or drizzle is intermittent, or variable. Easier than keep using the flip wipe, or changing from intermittent to on, etc.

Dusk sensor, not a good idea in my opinion.
YOU are responsible for the car, you are in charge. You need to make a positive decision about when to put lights on, or not. Leaving it to the variable quality control of a manufacturing plant in China may not get you the result you expect.

They don't work well in daylight rain or fog. Notice how many cars drive around in rain or fog without lights, blissfully unaware that the car has not made the decision for them. "Driving without due care"?

The first Fiesta I had with them needed almost complete darkness before they'd come on. The next would put them on on a bright sunny day if a small cloud passed over the sun. Although I suspect Fiat probably pay more than Ford for their sensors. I won't use them, but do occasionally show the learners how they work, or not.

There have been occasions when auto headlamps get people into trouble. Early systems would turn them on and off without delays, creating a headlamp flash under trees or bridges. Collisions have occurred due to this as other drivers react to the courtesy signal that the driver didn't know about. Current systems usually wait for several seconds of low light before turning them on, and wait a minimum time before turning them off when light improves. However, if another driver is not looking when they come on, but then looks to see them go off, he may assume a flash, and pop across your path.
I've taken to waving in a friendly enthusiastic manner every time I see auto headlamps come on. Confuses the drivers a treat.

New cars come with daylight running lamps which makes the need for headlights in fog and rain during daylight less of an issue.

Auto headlights work very well on my Golf and the golf also has automatic main beams.

The wipers on the golf are auto and you can adjust the sensitivity, the only glitch with them, is if it is raining hard and the conditions improve, then the wipers don't always slow down to match, which is when you tweet the sensitivity.

I agree that the daylights work well in rain, and light fog, but the legislators missed a trick, and there is noting on the rear of the car. So many people then turn on just sidelights, which puts on the rear lamps, but reduces the brightness of the front. Why do people use sidelights when moving? See how many cars you see, then afterwards realise they have sidelights on.

Some cars do not tell you when it has put the headlamps on. I've not seen any VAG cars that do so. The Fiesta does.

I suppose it uses too many calories to turn the headlamp switch. Don't want all those drivers collapsing from fatigue do we.

Some cars do not tell you when it has put the headlamps on. I've not seen any VAG cars that do so. The Fiesta does.

My golf does but I know what you mean, it's not on the dash, there is a green light comes on above the head light switch by your right knee, not exactly in the line of sight , but it is there.

My golf does but I know what you mean, it's not on the dash, there is a green light comes on above the head light switch by your right knee, not exactly in the line of sight , but it is there.

A good place to put it, all those people surreptitiously looking down at their phone, will at least have the chance to notice the lights are on. At least on the car, if not in their head.:D

Are the rain sensors in the back of the rear view mirror housing? My current stolen/recovered S4 facelift that was stripped has a spare plug around the interior light and when running MES shows an open circuit on rain sensor. The light was missing but the mirror is there and it's a standard mirror and there's no other electronics around. It makes sense as other cars that the sensor would be in the mirror housing looking out to sense the rain on the windscreen but it's not there. I'm wondering whether it was just built using that loom without it being installed.

Are the rain sensors in the back of the rear view mirror housing? My current stolen/recovered S4 facelift that was stripped has a spare plug around the interior light and when running MES shows an open circuit on rain sensor. The light was missing but the mirror is there and it's a standard mirror and there's no other electronics around. It makes sense as other cars that the sensor would be in the mirror housing looking out to sense the rain on the windscreen but it's not there. I'm wondering whether it was just built using that loom without it being installed.
That might be for the auto-dimming mirror option.

Back