Technical Ducato x250 Rear Door handle cable retainer

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato x250 Rear Door handle cable retainer

simch

Hi,
Noticed the rear door would not open the other day on my 62 plate x250. Opened from the inside fine, but when I tried the outside, handle moved but would not release. I removed the rectangular cover on inside of the door and found the vertical cable attached the door handle ally arm was connected to the ally arm, (the inner cable) but the outer cable had popped off the black plastic cable retainer, (that sits vertically above the ally arm that moves with the door handle). So in effect, the handle wasn't operating the cable at all, just pulling the whole thing downwards.

I put the outer cable back into the plastic retainer and it all worked again, but it seems quite loose. Should there be some sort of retaining clip that holds the outer sheath into that retaining mechanism, or does it just sit in there quite loose? If there is a clip I suspect it has popped off into the door inner, but don't want to go hunting for it if it doesn't exist, as needs the whole door part to get in there.

Any help appreciated

Last edited:
As far as I can remember there is no clip on the retainer, but the cable should not be able to pop out because it isn't long enough to do that. An easy solution is to put a tie wrap around it.

As far as I can remember there is no clip on the retainer, but the cable should not be able to pop out because it isn't long enough to do that. An easy solution is to put a tie wrap around it.

Yes, I think I will do that. It certainly looks a little loose, maybe the cable stretched a bit. but a tie wrap of a bit of butyl tape should hold it in place. And will save me taking the doors apart to find a non existent clip, too!

Cheers

Back