Technical Ducato rear door open warning

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato rear door open warning

John greenfield

Hi guys

I have a problem with my 2008 Ducato panel van.
I have a door open light on the dash and the central locking does not work. I have tried all the solutions on this forum re the side door switch plate and packing it out but no joy. I have also checked and cleaned the sockets on the back of the switch plate and cleaned and lubricated the contacts on the door.

If I press the plastic tag on the body side of the switch I can make the message dissapear from the dash showing the switch works but I still have the red door open symbol on the dash and the central locking does not lock the doors [indicators just blink very quickly]. I can hear all the locks working if I press the open button on the key.
I should add that I have also tried pushing the catch firmly shut on the back doors but that makes no difference.

Anyone got any ideas where to look for a solution?
Not being able to lock the side and passenger doors is a real problem as my van only has key locks on the back and drivers doors.

Last edited:
Update

I did a reboot of the body computer but it made no difference [surprise!] but just had to drive down to the shops and when I turned the headlights on the door open symbol on the dash went out. Turn the lights off and the door open symbol lights up again complete with the message "rear doors open.
Lights back on, no message and the door light out again.
Tried locking the vehicle after turning the engine off with the headlight switch on but still no central locking.
Starting to worry now as I have run out of ideas, it is getting dark and I cant lock the vehicle.

Help.

Update

I did a reboot of the body computer but it made no difference [surprise!] but just had to drive down to the shops and when I turned the headlights on the door open symbol on the dash went out. Turn the lights off and the door open symbol lights up again complete with the message "rear doors open.
Lights back on, no message and the door light out again.
Tried locking the vehicle after turning the engine off with the headlight switch on but still no central locking.
Starting to worry now as I have run out of ideas, it is getting dark and I cant lock the vehicle.

Help.

Check for short circuits, rear lights on the early x250’s were prone for earth contacts in the bulb holder connectors opening up, building up corrosion and resistance
Clean them out, close them up to make contact with bulb holder terminals

May or not solve your issues but with the lights on/off thing it could be linked

Caused all sorts of issues when my 57 plates rear lights had the issue

To add to rolopolo's suggestion, the engine earth strap on X250s is a notorious source of mysterious problems.

Easy way check is to connect a jump lead between a clean earth point on the engine (lifting lug?) and battery negative.

From posts on another forum, it could well be worth changing the strap as a precaution.

However I think that rolopolo's suggestion should be tried first.

Back