Ducato Ducato mk1 '92 fuel pump and horn relay

Currently reading:
Ducato Ducato mk1 '92 fuel pump and horn relay

rellg

Dear Members,

Let me write a few words about our van.

Its a Hymer 644 Campervan based on a Fiat ducato mk1 from 1992. Its a 1.9TD diesel engine.

I just installed a tracking device but it has some options I cannot use currently as I need advice how to get the device connected.
The tracker can shut of fuel if the provided relay is connected to the fuel pump as show on the picture. Unfortunately I do not know where is this line going.
Where is the fuel pump +12 or which relay is operating it? Circuit breaker on the pic is 12v/40A. If there is a relay for the fuel pump I would cut it and install the relay from the tracker here. Or is it better to cut the feed which goes directly to the pump as shown on the pic?

Fuel sensor is just one wire... where to put? Connect to the dash? To + wire on the instrument?
(Calibration is made on the tracker unit itself)

Orange: is there a horn relay to connect a +12v signal? As this orange wire is very thin I do not think it can handle the current which needs to sound the horn. So would be better to feed the horn really with +12. Or may I buy a separate relay and connect the output to the horn directly?
For this output signal what about if I want to light up some lights like the turning signals? are there any options to do that or for this I have to buy some diodes and an other relay and feed the lights over the relay?

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
The tracker can shut of fuel if the provided relay is connected to the fuel pump as show on the picture. Unfortunately I do not know where is this line going.
Where is the fuel pump +12 or which relay is operating it? Circuit breaker on the pic is 12v/40A. If there is a relay for the fuel pump I would cut it and install the relay from the tracker here. Or is it better to cut the feed which goes directly to the pump as shown on the pic?

On that era van it 12V goes directly from ignition via glow plug timer to solenoid no relay as far as I know. The stop solenoid is easily accessible and simple to bypass I would be inclined to install an inline solenoid somewhere awkward if you really want to put people off.

Fuel sensor is just one wire... where to put? Connect to the dash? To + wire on the instrument?

If you can calibrate it to use a normal tank sender then you connect it to the wiper on tank sender potentiometer.

Orange: is there a horn relay to connect a +12v signal? As this orange wire is very thin I do not think it can handle the current which needs to sound the horn. So would be better to feed the horn really with +12. Or may I buy a separate relay and connect the output to the horn directly?
For this output signal what about if I want to light up some lights like the turning signals? are there any options to do that or for this I have to buy some diodes and an other relay and feed the lights over the relay?

A normal diaphragm horn is meant for a very low duty cycle they burn out very quickly when used as an alarm. The output is probably intended to drive a piezo siren which would only be a few hundred milliamps, there should be a spec with it you could probably drive a piezo sounder and an led strobe directly.

On that era van it 12V goes directly from ignition via glow plug timer to solenoid no relay as far as I know. The stop solenoid is easily accessible and simple to bypass I would be inclined to install an inline solenoid somewhere awkward if you really want to put people off.

If you can calibrate it to use a normal tank sender then you connect it to the wiper on tank sender potentiometer.

A normal diaphragm horn is meant for a very low duty cycle they burn out very quickly when used as an alarm. The output is probably intended to drive a piezo siren which would only be a few hundred milliamps, there should be a spec with it you could probably drive a piezo sounder and an led strobe directly.
Thank you for the info. Its really helpful.
I will look after this solenoid stuff deeper. BTW this solenoid if gets 12V it will change position and while ignition is on it gets 12V. So If I want to cut off I need to cut off the 12V which goes to it.

Back