Technical Ducato MJ100 down on power?

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato MJ100 down on power?

Taipan

Hi All
My Camper is an Adria Twin on a Ducato MJ100 2.2 I recently just serviced it, including fuel filter, as I went to Spain and back with it. It returned low 30s MPG. One thing I noticed was it seemed down on power when accelerating. Going through towns and exiting roundabouts I noticed it was lacking acceleration and I'd have to sit behind lorries whilst noticing a lot of other Ducato/Citroen/Peugeot vans going past me. It sat at 70mph fine for hour after hour and seemed okay to hold its speed up long hills?

The other thing I noticed was after going down long hills using engine breaking as you gently put your foot back on the accelerator for the first millimeter or two it would jump about a bit, like a light switch effect, if you see what I mean, put push the accelerator down just a bit more and it was fine again.

There are no warning lights on the dash and no fault codes stored. But I can't help feeling it's down on power? It reminds me of a Picasso 2.0 HDi I had which seemed the same and a new MAF sensor transformed that, but I gather these don't have MAF sensors??? It's only done 34k but being a 2010 it's obviously sat around a lot. If there are any sensors you think would be worth changing anyway, i'd be quite happy to do so. Are these engines known for any power loss problems? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated, unless they involve a can of petrol and a box of matches! ;)

TIA

Hi

If your vehicle is a 2.2 MJ 100 of 2007 to 2009 vintage, it uses an engine derived from a Ford design. Information from eLearn suggests that it does have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor of the hot wire type. It also has a combined Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) and Temperature sensor mounted on the inlet manifold.

You might like to check all the air intake hoses for splits/leaks or blockage (mice in the air filter). A leak after the turbo will reduce boost pressure, the reduced air flow will be sensed by the MAF and the fuel supply will be reined back to suit. This will reduce maximum power but may not give you a dashboard warning light, that's only there to show that emissions might be above spec.

For a Ducato of standard panel van shape, cruising at 70 MPH needs only about 55 BHP. Full power corresponds to something like 85 MPH.

Back