Technical Ducato clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato clutch

160Mx32

Hi, new to the group so apologies if this has been covered in detail and I’ve missed it. Ducato 160, 20k with clutch slip in higher gears around 2000 revs, I’ve read that the extra torque can cause this and so on but as with most forums no one seems to come back with a definite answer on how they fully rectified the problem. Is there a brand of clutch plate which seems to outlast the others? What parts definitely should be changed and does this include the dual mass flywheel? Planning doing work at home, how long should the job take and is there job sheet available anywhere to explain the correct procedure? Thanks in advance for any help

Hi

I cannot offer any direct experience, except to say that the DMF should not need replacement unless the outer face that bears on the clutch disc is in poor condition or you have reason to believe that the DMF internals are worn e.g. juddering or odd noises as the clutch bites. If you do go for a replacement, I'd advise against a solid flywheel as the DMF plays a part in reducing peak torque loading on the gear teeth as well as reducing vibration.

I'm assuming that as you are aware of the clutch slip and it only happens when the engine is producing maximum torque that you won't have overheated anything through continual slippage. DMFs have elastomer parts that won't like excess heat.

The critical time for clutch slip is often immediately after selecting a higher gear, and sometimes slightly delaying the full reapplication of the "throttle" pedal will help it fully engage. Once it's too far gone this won't work, and you get the characteristic rise in revs with no corresponding rise in speed once the engine torque exceeds the clutches ability.

I suggest you seek out an uprated or "performance" clutch kit which will have stronger cover plate springs for greater clamping force. This might mean the clutch pedal will need a little more effort

It's normal to also replace the concentric slave cylinder as a precaution whilst everything is apart.

Check that the slippage isn't due to oil contamination from a failed oil seal or (unlikely) contamination from a leaking slave cylinder.

The M40 gearbox used for the 3.0 litre engines weighs a stonking 55 kg, so when it's removed you will need a good support/stand and enough headroom to work.

A professional garage with all the right tools and experience will take roughly 5 hours for this job.

Thanks very much for your answer, a lot of helpful information there. Haven’t had the Ducato long and more at home working on Sprinters and Transits so trying to find out any hints before starting on the clutch, thanks again

I replaced the clutch on my 3.0 160 six years ago, complete sachs kit inluding dmf and slave, since then have covered further 45,000 miles and clutch still feel as good as when first fitted. This is on a fully converted camper which frequently runs close to max payload all over Europe. I think I paid just under £500 for parts. I recall it was a pain of a job, not a lot of space to manoeuvre gearbox out, an engine hoist is required to support engine weight, but I was working alone on the driveway.

I replaced the clutch on my 3.0 160 six years ago, complete sachs kit inluding dmf and slave, since then have covered further 45,000 miles and clutch still feel as good as when first fitted. This is on a fully converted camper which frequently runs close to max payload all over Europe. I think I paid just under £500 for parts. I recall it was a pain of a job, not a lot of space to manoeuvre gearbox out, an engine hoist is required to support engine weight, but I was working alone on the driveway.
Hi Philblack, very interesting, thanks for your reply,I wonder if any of the other members can confirm whether the Sachs clutch kit tends to be better quality than LUK for example, I know it all comes down to the driver at the end of the day but would rather fit best quality parts if possible.

Back