Technical Ducato 230 2.0 JTD Engine dies all the time

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 230 2.0 JTD Engine dies all the time

grachal

Hello,

I recently bought a 2.0 JTD Ducato with the problem that at random intervals (between 10-100km) it would just go out with the red injector icon flashing on the instrument cluster. Then the engine can be started again after ignition on/off and a differing length of time (approx. 0-5 minutes) and you can continue driving normally for another 10 and 100 km.

I've already looked at the obvious problem areas (ground strap to the body, feed pump, diesel filter) and couldn't find anything. I replaced the ground wire just to be safe. I then got a USB interface to read the Ducato, unfortunately there was nothing in the error memory that would help me in any way.

- P0380 Glow plug/heating circuit A malfunction: Probably worn glow plugs, in my opinion not related to my problem

- P0110 intake air temperature circuit malfunction: in my opinion the error should not cause the engine to stall

- P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor/Air Flow Meter - Range/Function Error: Occurred together with P0110, therefore not meaningful. But could the AFM theoretically cause the engine to stall?

- P0148 3 piston deactivation: I read about it on the internet, this is about the deactivation of the 3rd piston in the high pressure pump at idle. But in my opinion it shouldn't cause the engine to stall

Unfortunately, it is not clear to me exactly when these errors occurred, because the mileage of 190,000 km stored in the ECU is incorrect. The KM counter in the instrument cluster reads 230,000 km and the errors occurred at 192,000 km, which cannot be correct regarding the value stored in the ECU.

Other: At idle speed, the fuel pressure was 300 bar, is that enough? The boost pressure was exactly one atmosphere and didn't change when pressing the accelerator > Broken sensor? But shouldn't that actually generate an error in the ECU?

Hoping for some help, thanks...

The manifold pressure sensor and mass air flow sensor are used in calculating the amount of fuel injected. See attached extract from eLearn.

One thing that comes to mind, is the possibility of crank sensor failing when hot? I have not experienced this myself, but it has been mentioned in previous discussions.

The manifold pressure sensor and mass air flow sensor are used in calculating the amount of fuel injected. See attached extract from eLearn.

One thing that comes to mind, is the possibility of crank sensor failing when hot? I have not experienced this myself, but it has been mentioned in previous discussions.
I have had crank sensor fail and on cooling down the vehicle start and run happily on a 2005 Fiat Doblo 1.9 of mine and also a customers Vauxhall 1.2 Corsa many years ago. These did show error codes , but I understand that is not always the case.

crank sensor when hot and will get progressively worse very common problem, cheap to buy easy to fit so worth a try.

Thanks for the quick replies! At the moment I can't monitor the fuel pressure while driving, because I use a the free version of multiecuscan for diagnosing, and after 20 minutes it closes down and connecting to the ECU already takes like 10 minutes. Maybe you know an alternative?
Fuel filter is quite new, clean and has no water in it. Fuel and tank are also clean, pre pump sieve/filter also was checked.

I saw a new MAF for 20 bucks, but as far as my experience goes you should stay away from cheap sensors...

Where is the crank sensor exactly located? On a quick glance I only managed to find the camshaft position sensor, maybe also worth trying to replace?

For location of crank sensor see attached file. eLearn is not precise about the function of the camshaft (timing) sensor on the 2.3jtd. See attached copy. A similar description for the 2.8jtd, clesrly states that the camshaft sensor is only used to determine the stroke when starting, and not subsequntly used. As the engine starts OK, I would not rush to change the camshaft sensor. Please note that the spacing of these sensors is critical, with 1mm being a typical mid range setting.

Attachments

• 2.3jtd Sensors.pdf
    225.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.3jtd Timing Sensor.pdf
    157.2 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the quick replies! At the moment I can't monitor the fuel pressure while driving, because I use a the free version of multiecuscan for diagnosing, and after 20 minutes it closes down and connecting to the ECU already takes like 10 minutes. Maybe you know an alternative?
Fuel filter is quite new, clean and has no water in it. Fuel and tank are also clean, pre pump sieve/filter also was checked.

I saw a new MAF for 20 bucks, but as far as my experience goes you should stay away from cheap sensors...

Where is the crank sensor exactly located? On a quick glance I only managed to find the camshaft position sensor, maybe also worth trying to replace?
If you give engine Series Number etc. someone may be able to tell you position.
I believe someone on Forum has mentioned before that cam sensor is only used on initial start up and not as running which crank sensor is

Can you read the fuel rail pressure when fault occurs?
I assume fuel filter fairly new and no dirty fuel or blockages? :)
Good idea. The 300bar sounds pretty heathy but if it drops when faulty would throw some light

I can not find the crank sensor. Thanks for the eLearn page, but my 2.0 JTD seems to be quite different compared to the 2.3 JTD
I found nothing near the starter and also nothing on the crank pulley side. I probably have to remove the timing cover to see more...

I already checked for a clogged breather, but when the engine dies and I open the fuel cap there is no air rushing in/no negative pressure inside the fueltank

Does someone know a source for expoloded view drawings for the 2.0 JTD online?

What year your van constructed?
I think you may have the 2 litre engine made by Peugeot Citroen who named it 2.0 hdi
Fiat just changed name to 2.0 jtd

Use forum search for thread "2003 Ducato 2.0 JTD swb suddenly gone into limp mode"

I can not find the crank sensor. Thanks for the eLearn page, but my 2.0 JTD seems to be quite different compared to the 2.3 JTD
I found nothing near the starter and also nothing on the crank pulley side. I probably have to remove the timing cover to see more...

I already checked for a clogged breather, but when the engine dies and I open the fuel cap there is no air rushing in/no negative pressure inside the fueltank

Does someone know a source for expoloded view drawings for the 2.0 JTD online?
Sorry, my mistake in misreading the filname in my computor library.
I do not seem to have anthing similar saved from eLearn for the 2.0jtd. Also I find that eLearn is not very informative, but I did find one diagram that suggested flywheel end and at about 2 o clock when viewed from that end.

Long time ago but on my jtd the crank sensor was below the starter so needed to get under the car to see it, look for the wires going to the rear of the flywheel housing (engine side as opposed to gearbox side).
Not much to see just two wires and I think it was one 10mm bolt that held it in, undo the bolt and slide it out.

Back