Technical Ducato 2015 instrument cluster lighting

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2015 instrument cluster lighting

The speedo is hardly visible, when wearing sunglasses, and driving in the sun.
The left part is too dark. I can't tell the speed 30 , 50, 70... upto 110
I can see something when I turn on the main lights.... but still not great.

On a camperforum... one topic , says : Update the cluster software.
New software should give you , cluster lights alway's on, even when driving with Daylight Running Lights and main headlights off.

Who knows something about this ?
Local Fiat dealer never heard of this modification via OBD2 connector,
Yes.. right... but it has been done.

I already made my own DRL at the rear. gets 12V from powerline fridge, only when the engine is running.

Adria LED achter.jpg

My 2016 model has the cluster lighting on all the time and it dims if the main lights are switched on. It is clearly visible at all times. I have not tried this but in the MENU there is a LIGHTING position and the handbook says with regard to 'brightness of the instrument panel' : "Note On versions with reconfigurable multifunction display adjustment can be made both with lights off ("daytime" mode brightness level) and with lights on ("night time" mode brightness level)

This thread is relevant:

As posted, X290s had a mid-life update to permanently maintain instrument lighting regardless of external lighting setting.

This could be "retrofitted" to X290s prior to the production implementation via a software update. It was offered free in the UK, and I had it done to my 2015 vehicle.

The thread also describes how the intensity of lighting might be adjusted via the "Mode" setting, and a feature that only appears if you follow a particular set of instructions.

The speedo is hardly visible, when wearing sunglasses, and driving in the sun.
The left part is too dark. I can't tell the speed 30 , 50, 70... upto 110
I can see something when I turn on the main lights.... but still not great.

On a camperforum... one topic , says : Update the cluster software.
New software should give you , cluster lights alway's on, even when driving with Daylight Running Lights and main headlights off.

Who knows something about this ?
Local Fiat dealer never heard of this modification via OBD2 connector,
Yes.. right... but it has been done.

I already made my own DRL at the rear. gets 12V from powerline fridge, only when the engine is running.

View attachment 424804
Kph is even harder to see in bright light, a problem when driving in Europe!
I just bought a £15 led gps speedometer that sits on the dash, powered by a USB cable, can be changed from kph to mph easily and is almost a heads up display.
We've got a Compact SP , similar vintage to yours as it has the rear window, which Compact have you got?

Back