Ducato ducato 2004 2.0 jtd belt change problem on motorhome.

Currently reading:
Ducato ducato 2004 2.0 jtd belt change problem on motorhome.

Frantic

hi all, just had the belts, water pump and pulley's changed on my 2004 26kmiles motor home, 2.0 jtd engine by a guy that knows what to do.
when he finished, new oil and filters all normal stuff. he started it and it ran fine to turn it round. i jumped in to take it home and the engine was noise, banging knocking more than a diesel should, i though it would clear but by the time i was half mile down the road the power kept dropping and then no power.
we towed it back and checked the belt timing once twice and 6 times with three different people and it looks all good, no fault codes either. seems like no fuel so cracked an injector input and lots came out, changed the crank sensor, it shows a little life with a very little easy start.
I have read 2 other post with exactly the same scenario but there didn't post how to fix it.

not sure what to check next, any one with any suggestions would help.
many thanks.
frank

You say the filters were changed, has the diesel feed been bled? Some are self bleeding but some have to be bled at the injector-if that’s ok I’d look at the timing, is the correct belt fitted?🤔

You say the filters were changed, has the diesel feed been bled? Some are self bleeding but some have to be bled at the injector-if that’s ok I’d look at the timing, is the correct belt fitted?🤔
only oil filter changed and have checked the belt timing lots of times, i havent put the old belt on as it looks the same! this lost.

many thanks for your input.

Try and get a reading of the diesel rail pressure when engine cranking on starter.
Check anti shudder valve(if it has one) is open when trying to start.
Check crank pulley bolt tight and not slipped position.
May be worth checking crank sprocket wood ruff key is intact.
With engine at tdc remove valve cover and check cam lobes on cylinders1 and 4 look correct orientation(on pair of valves should be "on the rock")

well did find it with advice from a pro. there was blowing out of the inlet air intake, which meant the exhaust valve not opening.
took the rocker cover off to find some of the rockers had broken, so the belt must have been fitted wrongly. a local stockist had them for £40 and a few hours later all up and running properly. lucky that was the only damage. i reckon the belt wasn't tension-ed properly and jumped a tooth.
hope this helps. good luck.

Back