Technical Ducato 2.8JTD

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.8JTD

peter1947

On a recent holiday in our 2005 Ducato Motorhome we noticed diesel leaking from the engine bay area.To cut a long story short it turned out to be the bottom of the fuel filter.A plastic thread thing had broken allowing diesel to leak out.As we were in Germany the replacement filter was fitted by a Ford garage!!(I don't know why either) However,the replacement filter does not have this plastic thread thing at the bottom which also contains some electrical parts.My question is,is this the water in fuel detection device? Has this been modified as not required by Fiat does anyone know?? I am aware of the expensive danger of water in fuel to a JTD injection system,should I now be worried?

Hi
I would be purchasing the proper new filter with the threaded hole for the Water Sensor (it comes with a threaded plug in it) because as you have stated CRDs do not like water in the system & without it you'll never know till it's too late.
From what I have seen these water sensors themselves seem to be a common part between makes as some appear to be the same between brands, the only difference being maybe the connection plug on the end (which could be rewired). I have no doubt a Fiat one will be as usual some unbelievable price. Maybe try an aftermarket supplier or 2nd hand one. It is not hard to bleed the fuel system if you follow my guide in a previous post -
https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/142975-how-change-fuel-filter-2-8jtd.html
Note: read my last post on the thread revising the post & using new diesel.
Cheers

Back