Technical Ducato 2.3 diesiel 2013,Starter motor not turning at all

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.3 diesiel 2013,Starter motor not turning at all

wavehead

Dashboard Engine lights seem normal but when key turned for starting -Nothing. Battery is good, Alarm VanBitz is off and works ok, fuses at Battery ok, only lights left are oil,engine injectors, water, which should turn off when started. There is nothing, no clicks....like its trying any ideas please.

Didn't someone recently have a starter relay cause a similar issue on Forum?
If that was working but a duff starter then you should at least hear a click I would have thought.

Didn't someone recently have a starter relay cause a similar issue on Forum?
If that was working but a duff starter then you should at least hear a click I would have thought.
Yes but that was on an x230, which has a starter relay. The later models do not have a starter relay.

@wavehead please confirm that the battery symbol illuminates on the dash when key is turned? Also is there any record of the engine earth strap being changed? These are a known source of problems

The starter circuit for fhe x250 as others is fairly simple. From fuse at battery positive to engine bay fusebox. 30A fuse to ignition switch.
Then from ignition switch to starter solenoid. As suggested , solenoid should give a pronounced click when operated. The return path to the battery is via the engine earth strap to chassis, and then battery negative braided cable.

The solenoid has the task of engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel, before switching current to the starter motor.

If all else is OK is the smaller (solenoid) wire at the starter OK?

It is possible that the aftermarket alarm system is wired into the starter solenoid circuit, and excessive voltage drop due to the added wiring is causing the problem.

Is this the vehicle that has a "frozen" clutch? If yes, then have you blown the CAL fuse at the battery positive when attempting to start in gear?

Attachments

• X250 eLearn Starting and Recharging.pdf
    327.2 KB · Views: 57
Yes but that was on an x230, which has a starter relay. The later models do not have a starter relay.

@wavehead please confirm that the battery symbol illuminates on the dash when key is turned? Also is there any record of the engine earth strap being changed? These are a known source of problems

The starter circuit for fhe x250 as others is fairly simple. From fuse at battery positive to engine bay fusebox. 30A fuse to ignition switch.
Then from ignition switch to starter solenoid. As suggested , solenoid should give a pronounced click when operated. The return path to the battery is via the engine earth strap to chassis, and then battery negative braided cable.

The solenoid has the task of engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel, before switching current to the starter motor.

If all else is OK is the smaller (solenoid) wire at the starter OK?

It is possible that the aftermarket alarm system is wired into the starter solenoid circuit, and excessive voltage drop due to the added wiring is causing the problem.

Is this the vehicle that has a "frozen" clutch? If yes, then have you blown the CAL fuse at the battery positive when attempting to start in gear?
I have now checked the 12V at the starter solenoid and it indicates 12V "when" the key is turned to start, but does not "click" or make the starter motor turn, so suspect it, or possibly the starter motor, I will remove it asap and check on bench with a battery, weather permitting.....

For clarification, you are checking for 12V at the smaller solenoid terminal? Also was meter negative connecting to starter body or engine block, and not to chassis.

For clarification, you are checking for 12V at the smaller solenoid terminal? Also was meter negative connecting to starter body or engine block, and not to chassis.
Yes, power would always be on the big red battery cable.

Yes, power would always be on the big red battery cable.
Okay the problem was the startermotor/solenoid I replaced it, fairly simple and now okay, found 100% new Bosch Startermotors are not really available so bought a remanufactured Bosch one and handed over mine, after seeing a Bosch video of their remanufacture process. Note my Multiscan software did not indicate a failure. Also found the startermotor was fitted with only 2 of the 3 bolts amazing...

Back