Technical Ducato 2 1994 water leak,

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2 1994 water leak,

vinny55

Hi is there a core plug behind the gearbox as I have antifreeze dripping from the box everything is dry above the box

Hi vinny55,

I cannot answer you question precisely, but there are several possibilities.

1. Are you sure that what you are seeing is antifreeze? On later models at least, the scuttle drain ends above the gearbox.

2. If antifreeze, is it dripping from cab heater hoses?

3. If all else fails, would a cheap borescope help with inspecting the area.

Last edited:
Hi vinny55,

1. Are you sure that what you are seeing is antifreeze? On later models at least, the scuttle drain ends above the gearbox.

Can you do a taste test (Remember to spit don't swallow;) ) antifreeze is sweet.
Which engine is it as it looks like the 2.8 has some core plugs at back of the block, try googling engine block pictures for your model.
Can you put a piece of card or something above the gearbox just to double check nothing dropping down from higher up.

Hi vinny55,

As a retired mechanic it is definitely antifreeze, but as my hands don't let me work on my van I can only do so much, their is a pool of antifreeze under the van and it's pink, just needed to know if there was a core plug on the gearbox side of the engine

As a retired mechanic it is definitely antifreeze, but as my hands don't let me work on my van I can only do so much, their is a pool of antifreeze under the van and it's pink, just needed to know if there was a core plug on the gearbox side of the engine
As I mentioned previously photos of the engine block on the 2.8 Ducato appear to show core plugs there, but I don't know what engine you have.
Bit unlucky if it is a core plug, it's years since I needed to fit one. Can you get a mirror and a torch to see it better at back of block?

As I mentioned previously photos of the engine block on the 2.8 Ducato appear to show core plugs there, but I don't know what engine you have.
Bit unlucky if it is a core plug, it's years since I needed to fit one. Can you get a mirror and a torch to see it better at back of block?
Yes had a mirror and a magnifying glass with LEDs block above and sides dry,only place wet in bottom of the gearbox and it's not a small drip now

Can you do a taste test (Remember to spit don't swallow;) ) antifreeze is sweet.
Which engine is it as it looks like the 2.8 has some core plugs at back of the block, try googling engine block pictures for your model.
Can you put a piece of card or something above the gearbox just to double check nothing dropping down from higher up.
2.5TDI
Iveco 8140.47 same block as the 2.8​

I have had five vans and pick ups with those engines and loved them. The only photos I could see online were on eBay and it did look like there is a plate that could have rusted through, where possible the water pump was mounted on the block if they mounted the engine in a different configuration.
At the bottom of the head the lower part of an ally housing for a water takeoff is very close to top of bellhousing, just double check not leaking from there as might be a fix. Mike
1659090685986.png

I have had five vans and pick ups with those engines and loved them. The only photos I could see online were on eBay and it did look like there is a plate that could have rusted through, where possible the water pump was mounted on the block if they mounted the engine in a different configuration.
At the bottom of the head the lower part of an ally housing for a water takeoff is very close to top of bellhousing, just double check not leaking from there as might be a fix. Mike
View attachment 410176
Thank you for that, going into the garage on Monday, as I am a Geordie in Poland the garage rates are very very cheap

View attachment 410176
Thank you for that, going into the garage on Monday, as I am a Geordie in Poland the garage rates are very very cheap , just back from the garage gearbox out it was the plate leaking 8 hours labour clutch ok plate resealed 180 pounds ( geordie in poland )

Found the leak it was the plate hidden by the gearbox that was leaking

Back